noisey wheel

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

donnieg
80-90 Mem No: 6323

noisey wheel

Post by donnieg »

Hi folks
I'm looking for some help with a problem I have with my van. I have been having a grinding noise coming from the back drivers side wheel for some time now. I had it looked at last year and they thought it was the back plates. I went ahead and had them replaced and the brakes checked (cost a small fortune)and the problem seemed to be solved. It has now come back. The noise is like something is grinding but it is not continous. It eases when I turn right and the weight comes off that side. The noise was gone for a while after the work was done and after a long run in her it has come back. Has anyone got an idea what it could be as I don't wont to waste any more money on unnessesary work.
All ideas are greatly received
Thanks
Donnie

syncrosimon
80-90 Mem No: 3784

Re: noisey wheel

Post by syncrosimon »

I would first of all jack that wheel up clear of the ground, and give it a good spin. Then holding her firmly on the sides, a good wiggle. See how easily the wheel revolves, whether it makes that noise, and whether there is any play. There should be just a small amount (couple of mm absolute max) on the rim of movement, if there is a lot then your bearings are shot. However they dont tend to get better themselves, so if it goes away sometimes then the brakes could be rubbing. In my experience this can be caused by worn drums, and a groove on the edge (or a lip) and this can grind sometimes, especially when cornering forces take up the slack.

Just make sure you jack on the flat, and chock the front wheels as you will need to release the handbrake to spin that wheel.

Simon.
1991 16" DJ (sold)
2006 Subaru Outback 3.0R
2010 Yamaha Ténéré
2000 KTM LC400

donnieg
80-90 Mem No: 6323

Re: noisey wheel

Post by donnieg »

thanks for that simon, will give it a try