removing original hubcaps?

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

samk
80-90 Mem No: 6330

removing original hubcaps?

Post by samk »

how is this done? just as I think I'm understanding the van more i realise I have no idea! Do you release by putting something in the 2 little holes?

I want to get new chromes ones and wan to avoid the cheapo, bad quality versions. I've been recommended the GSF ones - £14.50 each, product code 45205. Anyone know if these are any good?
83 2ltr Air-Cooled Autohomes Kamper. Kamper roof died. Fitted an original Westy Pop-top.

Pepperami
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 4608

Re: removing original hubcaps?

Post by Pepperami »

One end of your original wheel brace has a flattened end on it. Stick that behind the hub and just pop it off.
fullthrottlejunkies.org

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

you could make a tool to fit in the two holes, or you could just use a screw driver and insert it in the edge of the cap and twist.
or you could bend a screwdriver to do the job...or as Pep said , the end of your original wheel brace has a flattened end on it. Stick that behind the hub and just pop it off.
there is nothing to release in those holes, only rust.

as for replacing them, i wouldnt bother, because even if you paint the back(inside) of them with red oxide, hammerite, waxoil or grease, they will still be rust orrible scabby things in two years, trust me, ive been there.
and they were gen VW ones, not gsf or JK cheapos
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

samk
80-90 Mem No: 6330

Post by samk »

sounds easy enough to me then!

so, are VW still making them then? i called a local van dealer and the guy i spoke to had no idea and couldnt help unless I had a part number.

I appreciate that they will fade/rust eventually bt they've got to look better than mine at the moment - still got the originals on I think and the chrome has long gone so they look sorry for themselves and a little depressed!
83 2ltr Air-Cooled Autohomes Kamper. Kamper roof died. Fitted an original Westy Pop-top.

munnyella
80-90 Mem No: 2522

Post by munnyella »

Hi

Give them a good cleaning off, then paint them.

My last ones were painted black on silver wheels, looked quite nice, similar to the last edition Mexican beetles.
(old van still on garage)
Would have gone the same route this time, but had a result on some nice chrome ones (good quality), Cheers weldore!

Will do the same when these look shot though, I am not into autosol every sunday!!Cheers

Mark
My only toy now is a broken T25 and a sack full of BMX bikes. How the mighty have fallen (or got sensibler!!)

Syncro G
80-90 Mem No: 3988

Post by Syncro G »

Actully you don't prise the metal caps off with the end of the wheel brace (which on my OEM one doesn't have a flat end for doing such, though vans with crappy plastic trims might have had such a feature?), you use the little ringpull tool that comes in the OEM tool kit, part number 5...
Slide it over the wheel brace to around where the part 3 arrow is in the above picture, put the two ends of the ringpull in the corisponding holes on the hubcap, and put the nut end of the wheel brace against the rim, leaver the handle outwards and the hubcap will just pop off without any effort or damage! (takes seconds!).

Can't remember how you do it but that tool combo probubly does the chrome rings that go on the rims of chrome bumper vans too, if they didn't just pull off - you'd want to take them off first before the hubcap.

The ringpull was probubly lossed a long time ago, along with the other useful bits of the tool kit your van came with shown above, but its still avalable from the usual suspects for not a lot so don't go for that screwdriver just yet! I've rapped mine in an elastic band round the wheel brace so it doesn't get lossed but can still float around a bit to use.

I've tried circlip pliers in the holes which works but tight fitting caps (ie ones that haven't already been massacared with a screwdriver :roll: ) really need a tug as you can't leaver them.
Glen Syncronaut: 113 - 1992 JX Syncro pannel van