change my alloy wheels back to vw steels

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

cosmic
80-90 Mem No: 0

change my alloy wheels back to vw steels

Post by cosmic »

Hi all just a question ,i want to replace my alloy wheels with vw steel wheels and centre caps going back to retro, when i had the wheels fitted i had the wheel studs replaced with longer ones for a good fit , do i have to fit the old studs back again or will it be ok to to fit on with what i have many thanks cosmic :ok

billy739
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1541

Re: change my alloy wheels back to vw steels

Post by billy739 »

hi , as long as you have thread all the way on your studs its ok to use them , just a pain when you change the wheels!

some studs have a smooth shank over the lower part so you need spacers to bring the steel wheel out far enough for the nut to pus against.

why not get some original flanges if your sticking with standard wheels? they take about 15 minutes a side to change!

also depending how long they are they may hit the hub cap!

chuckle-bus-tom
80-90 Mem No: 4368

Post by chuckle-bus-tom »

I have done this revert to VW steels too. The previous owner had alloys and long studs, and the studs don't foul the VW hub caps. Obviously you may have longer studs, but I guess try! I left the spacers on the rear too for an extra few mm of width. Doubt it does anything handling wise, but it's less to clog the tool box.

lloyd
80-90 Mem No: 3244

Post by lloyd »

chuckle-bus-tom wrote:left the spacers on the rear too for an extra few mm of width. Doubt it does anything handling wise, but it's less to clog the tool box.
Keep in mind the spacer move the centerline of wheel out farther.. causing more load on wheel bearings then stock van setup leading to shorter life expectancy. Many alloys also increase the load on wheel bearing causing them to fail sooner then on stock vans.
88 1.9 gassed w/Westy conversion & Reimo topper

MOBS