centre cap thing falling off on front drivers wheel

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

kathyshack
80-90 Mem No: 1242

centre cap thing falling off on front drivers wheel

Post by kathyshack »

Driving back from anglesey yesterday, after about an hour of driving we hit a lot of traffic. I hear a funny tapping noise when wheel going round slowly. Sounds like something is rattling inside the hubcap. I pulled over and took off the hubcap, and the black centre cap thing fell off from the middle of the wheel. Is this there just to protect the centre of the wheel?
I pushed it back on, but it is a bit loose. Wondered what its purpose is really, and how I can stop it falling off. would it perhaps need more grease? (It is quite greasy just wondered if more might act as a kind of suction or glue) I think its worse after a longer drive as the grease gets warm and so its easier for it to fall off... Once i'd knocked the centre cap thing back on, the noise did seem to go away, so pretty confident that what was making the noise... anything else i should check? As a side note, had a binding brake last week so had to get AA to take wheel off and stuff... coincidence?
thanks,
kathy
Member no: 1242

Learning something new every day!

www.funplace2b.co.uk/vw

www.funplace2b.co.uk/camp

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

I lost one the over week, this is due to having no hub cap or centre cap.

They keep the end of the stub axle protected/covered with grease.
They are normally a tight fit and require a mallet to fit them correctly.

Maybe the people who did your brakes failed to seat the cap correctly.
Mine cost me 9 euros.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

Titus A Duxass wrote:I lost one the over week, this is due to having no hub cap or centre cap.They keep the end of the stub axle protected/covered with grease.They are normally a tight fit and require a mallet to fit them correctly.Maybe the people who did your brakes failed to seat the cap correctly.Mine cost me 9 euros.

Doesn't one of them have a square hole in it to drive the speedo cable? If they do get loose you can find something sort of pointy and fat and bash it on with a hammer (or stilleto heel) so as to open it up a bit. You can also squidge it a bit so it is difeicult to fit and therefor won't fall off. Damned messy business though as the grease is very necessary. Blokey stuff grease!
Regards
Smiffy
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

Doesn't one of them have a square hole in it to drive the speedo cable?

Yes, the NSF (UK) or passenger side has the square hole for the speedo cable.
The guys who replaced my disc "glued" the speedo cable in with silicone and thereby providing a secondary retainer for the cap.

My replacement cap has the hole in it. It is on the other side (OSF) so the hole is superflous but it does allow the injection of grease.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l