Wheel Size and Recorded Speed

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

blancowesty
80-90 Mem No: 4208

Wheel Size and Recorded Speed

Post by blancowesty »

I own a 1990 Westfalia which, when I bought it, had the wheels changed for 16 inch fancy alloys (was told they were from a Mercedes S type - which sounds and looks impressive).

I had the tyres changed for 215/65 R16C. The tyre and wheels are, I think, much bigger than the standard size which leads me to my question. When my speedo , eventually, reads 50 mph am I travelling faster or slower than the 50 mph reading and what would be my accurate speed when the speedo reads 50?

Time to hit the calculator!

Thanks for any response

Blancowesty

T'Onion
80-90 Mem No: 255

Post by T'Onion »

do you have a sat nav that you could check it with ?
victus in mutuo vicis
Ego mori tu mori

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Re: Wheel Size and Recorded Speed

Post by kevtherev »

blancowesty wrote:I own a 1990 Westfalia which, when I bought it, had the wheels changed for 16 inch fancy alloys (was told they were from a Mercedes S type - which sounds and looks impressive).

I had the tyres changed for 215/65 R16C. The tyre and wheels are, I think, much bigger than the standard size which leads me to my question. When my speedo , eventually, reads 50 mph am I travelling faster or slower than the 50 mph reading and what would be my accurate speed when the speedo reads 50?

Time to hit the calculator!

Thanks for any response

Blancowesty

your tyres are just 32mm bigger in circumference than the standard tyre fitted at the factory
so the speedo is 4.89% wrong ...it will read slower than actual

a 60 profile would have been closer
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)