will changing tyres make steering lighter?

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

dirtygertie
80-90 Mem No: 4501

will changing tyres make steering lighter?

Post by dirtygertie »

does anyone have any suggestions on how i can make the steering lighter on my van.

its got 15" wheels and the tyre size is 205 (i think)
the original steering wheel was replaced by the previous owner for a dinky one cos he fitted a swivel seat to the drivers side and the big steering wheel got in the way.
anyway, i expected the steering to be heavy, but it's HEAVY!!!!!
will changing to slimmer tyres, or smaller wheels make a difference? i'm planning a subtle drop in suspension, but want to sort this out first. :?
Karen x

We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun. -hmmmmm

1982 2l Aircooled with a name!

peasant
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by peasant »

Try increasing the tyre pressure first, before you shell out for new rubber.
Ex German army Syncro for sale

dirtygertie

Post by dirtygertie »

I've tried that and it still feels like a tractor, the tyres look huge - but i might see if i can get used to it...........
Karen x

We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun. -hmmmmm

T'Onion
80-90 Mem No: 255

Post by T'Onion »

it wont help having a small steering wheel on it
victus in mutuo vicis
Ego mori tu mori

shepster
80-90 Mem No: 1342

Post by shepster »

Try putting a bigger wheel back on, i have a small wheel on mine but i'm going back to a larger Carravelle on.

Where about in Wolvo are you?
2.1 DJ running on carb and LPG.

dirtygertie

Post by dirtygertie »

I'll try the bigger wheel - might get rid of the swivel seat on the drivers side, it makes it too high and a bigger wheel will be difficult to manage - plus the seat is so high, i look like an idiot trying to climb in! :oops:

I'm in Wednesfield, shepster - I've looked on your profile, Telecoms engineer eh? you probably know my pops, he's rebuilding my interior for me (keeps him out of trouble!) do you know the 'ondrak'?
Karen x

shepster

Post by shepster »

I used to live in 'Nordley Hill' West ave, also Henfield Close (by The Castle) and Ashmore Park too.

dirtygertie

Post by dirtygertie »

ah, well there you go, i'm an ashma lass - don't hold it against me!
Karen x

Syncro G
80-90 Mem No: 3988

Post by Syncro G »

I've just changed my tyres for ones of the same width (215mm wide) - steerings got alot lighter because of it! different brands of tyres can make a difference. My dad noticed the same on his old power steering equipped caravelle - he put cheep tyres on it when the original michalins wore out but when he went back to michalin (the cheep tyres got nowhere near the supergalactic milage the michalins managed) the steering weight and roadnoise were dramaticly reduiced.

Wheel offset can make a massive difference too, I've got standard rims so mines exactly what VW designed it to be. If you've aftermarket rims then check the offset is equililent to OEM if you want light steering.

I've got the slightly smaller 420mm (power steering) steering wheel on my unassisted van. I find it alright (especally with the better tyres) but I don't think I'd want a smaller wheel on it (precides any smaller would obscure the instrements). the original 450mm (non PAS) wheel did make it a fair bit easyer to turn, but I had resions to need a slightly smaller wheel.
Glen Syncronaut: 113 - 1992 JX Syncro pannel van

shepster

Post by shepster »

I've still got the original wheel in my garage, your more than welcome to have it.

dirtygertie

Post by dirtygertie »

Thanks for the offer, but I already have one from the previous owner :ok
Karen x

timthetrader
80-90 Mem No: 2781

Post by timthetrader »

Ive got large alloys (borbets) on mine. No idea the size but they are much bigger then the standard but I inflate them to 38 on the front and it makes the steering much lighter.
VW 1990 autohomes