2 new tyres needed, any recommendations?

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

wasserleaker
80-90 Mem No: 3058

2 new tyres needed, any recommendations?

Post by wasserleaker »

Need to replace 2 tyres on my caravelle, it's got 205 70 R14 semperits on now, 97 rated reinforced, on original alloys, any advice or recommendations on a particular brand to get, or to avoid? are commercial light truck tyres the same as reinforced, or stiffer still? would they give a harder noisier ride? ta much :)

andysimpson
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by andysimpson »

My opinion is contential are best. Yes commericail tyres are normally 8 ply, reinforced are 6 ply, car 4 ply.

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

Post by Hacksawbob »

member 1168

wasserleaker

Post by wasserleaker »

the tyre place i usually use says continental dont list anything in 205 70 R14 reinforced, which a look on the web backs up, they can get an american brand 'Maxxis' in that size tho.
any good does anyone know?

andysimpson

Post by andysimpson »

wasserleaker wrote:the tyre place i usually use says continental dont list anything in 205 70 R14 reinforced, which a look on the web backs up, they can get an american brand 'Maxxis' in that size tho.
any good does anyone know?

Never heard of them which is not a good sign, you will be better with a well know brand but avoid michelin

wasserleaker

Post by wasserleaker »

Thanks Andy.

wasserleaker

Post by wasserleaker »

after searching various sites and reading the link to recommended tyres hacksawbob pointed out, im just more confused, Hankook RA08's or Vredestein Comtrac's seem to be the ones to go for, but one site on the link recommends changing to 185's rather than 205's but doesnt state a height ratio, although they say the speedo will be slightly out. not much change there then, speedo under-reads by a good 5mph, if my little handheld garmin gps is owt to go by!
can anyone with std 14'' carat alloys who's got tyres of the correct load rating on, currently available, that theyre happy with, and didnt cost daft money,please enlighten me :roll:

dave friday
80-90 Mem No: 5533

Post by dave friday »

Andy, whats the problem with michelin? my van has michelin agilis on it and two are badly worn [tracking] and the spare is only just legal.the van will be used mostly on loose surfaces and sand plus motorways.any advice would be welcome as i'm a bit limited for choice here
ta,barry
I dont think, so I'm not[do I exist?]
1992 1600td [ jx ] syncro panel van[leisuredrive camper ]

andysimpson

Post by andysimpson »

dave friday wrote:Andy, whats the problem with michelin? my van has michelin agilis on it and two are badly worn [tracking] and the spare is only just legal.the van will be used mostly on loose surfaces and sand plus motorways.any advice would be welcome as i'm a bit limited for choice here
ta,barry

They are by far the most exspensive and the longast lasting apart from wanli's but have little grip compared with continental, goodyear, dunlop.

Oh nearly forgot there french