Hot water in your van.

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Re: Hot water in your van.

Post by lloydy »

What you need is a plate to plate heat exchanger out of a boiler then adapt the manifold to take your coolant pipes and cold water from your tank. Not that I have all these parts in arms reach for someone to play with......... And it would only be the size of three fag packets
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

texasuk
80-90 Mem No: 7673

Post by texasuk »

Bit late in the game, but I've been thinking about this thread for some time, I like the idea but not sure how practical it will be. Can't think of a way to do it that wouldn't be more trouble than it was worth to build, but I'm sure someone will prove me wrong.

In the meantime, I saw this today, which looks interesting - http://www.campervanconversion.co.uk/sh ... -malaga-4e

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

Just been having a fiddle with the water heater I made a while ago. As we have a Cadac BBQ we run off the LPG tank it makes more sense to heat the water outside the van for safety reasons. It can be secured to the top of the BBQ so there is no chance of it toppling.

The idea is to preheat the water in a black water container during the day by leaving it in the sun. Then in evening when you want to take a shower circulate the water through the heat exchanger until it reaches 35°C. It takes just a few minutes this get to this temp.

It is quite crude but it does the job.

Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

fairwynds
80-90 Mem No: 3288

Post by fairwynds »

Im liking this, alot....... great ideas abound! :ok
1.9 DG Bilbos 'Arragon' Hitop LPG'd by Gasure
1.9 TDi Golf Mk4 Estate
Member no 3288

jamesandtheopenroad
80-90 Mem No: 8279

Post by jamesandtheopenroad »

Found this on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vw-camper-mot ... 0734463950" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt" Mr W Shakespeare

1990 VW T25 Transporter
1.9 DG 78ps
LPG'd by Gasure

boatdog
80-90 Mem No: 7505

Post by boatdog »

hi guys i have a water heater in my camper fitted as standard maybe you could get hold of one and retro fit it to yours? mines in a autohomes karisma its run of the gas and once warmed (about 20 mins gives you constant (within limits) about 5 ltrs of water its kind of a posh kettle, about the size of a loaf of bread on end and is piped into water system so a pipe from water tank to pump etc as normal then to heater unit then onto sink hot tap, on showerday heat the water put hose on tap fill bucket and use 12v shower as i do. i see a problem with your system, you would need run engine until water jacket is hot could annoy the campers round you plus if u put your tent over tailgate for shower and run engine for the hot water where does your exsaust exit? mine is a petrol and exits under tail gate so as to fill up your tent and camper, just a thought. if you need any details on my water heater let me know i will go have a look for make/model
dont fix it if its not broke cos after you finish it will be!

boatdog
80-90 Mem No: 7505

Post by boatdog »

ninja liking your device its kind of what i have but in a self contained unit,
that ebay shower is what i have where he getting 200 quid from? mine was a fiver in the sale from maplins hes just made a conector for the engine
dont fix it if its not broke cos after you finish it will be!

texasuk
80-90 Mem No: 7673

Post by texasuk »

And here it is - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOT-WATER-SH ... 4148e38f97

I think that mayches exactly what you described in your original post, without needing the fancy home made heat exchanger wrapped around and exhaust pipe.

E D I T* - just to add that the one posted by James looks like the same thing, but this even has a little video showing the fitment to make it clear how it works.