Water barrier polythene and waxoyl in sliding door

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

djhammy
80-90 Mem No: 6015

Water barrier polythene and waxoyl in sliding door

Post by djhammy »

HI me again just had all the door panels replaced and covered with lush vinyl.

Before i refit i need to replace some of the polythene damp barrier on the front doors. Is there a specific thickness or grade i should use or will the stuff builders use when doing concrete floors do?

The other thing is on the sliding doors i have a twin slider. The series of holes at the bottom of the door are they drain holes? was going to clean them out and spray some waxoyl in before refitting the panels. didn't want to do anything stupid as once i fit the new panels on those clips only come off by breaking them.

Cheers me dears

Dave

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Re: Water barrier polythene and waxoyl in sliding door

Post by Red Westie »

There is nothing particularly special about this polythene, pretty much anything would do it apart from bio degradable :D
Spay glue works well then again most contact adhesives would do it.

It actually helps if the glue isn't too strong as it makes sense to be able to peel back the membrane without it ripping too easily.

Yes..unblock the holes in the door.....
Over the years I seen lots of vehicles carrying gallons of water trapped in sills/doors/light clusters and the like..because of blocked drain holes.

Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx

djhammy

Post by djhammy »

Thanks Martin i have taken all the old stuff and will use it as a template. there was all sorts of muck, water, parking tickets and bits of foam stuck behind. Have sprayed waxoyl so at least that bit is done. The mebrand had been stuck on with double sided tape and repaired with gaffa tape and masking tape. i found a pair of scissors and golf tee in the door hollow??

Fitted the new back door panel easily but the 2 sliding door ones turned into a right pain. Those plastic clips are truly terrible. Alas a couple broke being tapped into place and you can not get them out again with out talking the whole board off thus breaking them all.

Then you have to take the staples out round the edging of the vinyl covering pulling them out and then stapling the covering back and trying again. I can see why my panels were screwed on before. I think the front doors will be easier.

The replacement panels are pre drilled with holes but they have missed the 3 centre ones so the panel isn't fully back.

Oh well another day another learning curve.

billybigspud
80-90 Mem No: 9454

Post by billybigspud »

did you get the panels from jk?

djhammy

Post by djhammy »

HI Billy yes i did. The panels are MDF and seemed the same as other suppliers.

billybigspud

Post by billybigspud »

i got em from there and they were awful. all the holes except for the back two panels were too small. bloody things did my head right in. fir tree clips are the way to go for future use. put em in before upholstering.

djhammy

Post by djhammy »

Hi Billy the holes were big enough just several missing in vital places. The fur tree clips are they are different design to these ones i take it.
http://www.justkampers.com/search2?loca ... +and+clips" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I assume a bit at a time goes in on the fur tree ones? The JK ones are all or nothing. You have to give them a thump and there lies the problem.

billybigspud

Post by billybigspud »

they are totally different. like a fit tree. measured the hole in the van and ordered the right ones off of ebay. you are supposed to fit them before upholstering but i managed to trim the heads to the same shape as the jk ones so the twisted in. took ages.
this is the shop i got em from

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/227s-Parts?_trksid=p4340.l2563" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

djhammy

Post by djhammy »

Found hundreds of them on e-bay wish i had used them instead. May well replace the ones for my front door panels before fitting them.

xpress
80-90 Mem No: 6827

Post by xpress »

you cam buy long clips for this job. they push in.
Das AutoWagen.