some pics of the devon

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

billybigspud
80-90 Mem No: 9454

Re: some pics of the devon

Post by billybigspud »

The lights are easy to mount, pop the grill out by turning the flat screws at the top of it 90 degrees, undo the four little screws and swap the stuff over. The relay mods can be done with the lights in situ. It will only take ten mins to swap em.

MattBW
80-90 Mem No: 11790

Post by MattBW »

Lovely looking van, I was pondering getting a lighter powder blue, this really has convinced me its a fabulous colour in two tone. Nice work!
1985 1.9TD AAZ -Starlight Interior
2015 California Beach

smokeyjon
80-90 Mem No: 2287

Post by smokeyjon »

Great work BBS you've really transformed that van! You made the interior look easy too (whereas I recall it being a nghtmare on mine!). I've got the same r'n'r bed, and that's definitely the best bit of mine!

I found this thread when researching different poptops - I've been thinking about fitting one to my tintop and this (devon) and westy are competing for favourite. Do you think one of these roofs could be fitted by just cutting a hole in the middle section of the roof (eg do the bed boards sit high enough), and do you think the hinges and roof are strong enough to attach some kind of roofrack? I'd appreciate your view as an owner, but any relevant links etc would also be useful. Cheers, John
Now rusting away even quicker by the seaside ;-)

billybigspud
80-90 Mem No: 9454

Post by billybigspud »

Hi Jon,
I like the Moonraker top as it suits my needs because of my family. If it was just me and the mrs then the Westie would probably suit better. ( not really a fan of high tops, functional but not pleasing on the eye ) The hinged would take a rack but it would have to be empty when opened. If you go for this one then yes, it is just a hole cut in the top. If you only cut a hole in the middle then it would be hard to slide the bed board to make the double as you get in from the back end ususally when the bed is made. A fibre glass base covers the cut. You also need the two fibre glass trim pieces and four bits of steel that cover the sides but the steel is easily made. :D

smokeyjon
80-90 Mem No: 2287

Post by smokeyjon »

Ah thanks BBS, I didn't realise you usually got in through the back. Is the double bed over the front and middle then? When you say better than Westy because of the kids is that because there is more room upstairs? I really need to have a look at a few.... I don't think my van'll be ready by then, but I might head to Busfest to have a mooch around and hopefully poke my head into a few. I think I might also start a westy vs moonraker thread somewhere else instead of interupting your build thread. Keep up the good work dude...
Now rusting away even quicker by the seaside ;-)

Daffy
80-90 Mem No: 10921

Post by Daffy »

Just seen this thread and wanted to add my appreciation - great thread and great looking van - I'm in awe. Hope you know enjoy many hours of happy camping.
"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter" Mark Twain

(1987 1.9 Diesel, Auto Sleeper)