fitting interior plywood panels

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

elmo makaroy
80-90 Mem No: 0

fitting interior plywood panels

Post by elmo makaroy »

just about to head to B&Q to buy the plywood so i can cut out some interior panels for my van and then i can carpet and fit the bed,

my question is, wot can i buy from B&Q to secure the panels in place? and wot size (bolts rivets screws etc) will i need,

also when i secure the bed in place i am going to screw in some pieces of baton to the floor and then secure the bed to them, wot is the best way to screw wood into the floor of my van? obviously i want it to be secure

thanks
vw t25 Tin Top, Aircooled 2litre CU Engine with Twin Solex Carbs

MattyG
80-90 Mem No: 8480

Re: fitting interior plywood panels

Post by MattyG »

hi elmo

I used 3 and 4mm ply on mine and im using self tappers about 1cm long to secure.
the colour of the covering (smoke) hides the screws quite well.

you can get proper panel clips from JK or similar but they'll cost a lot more

to secure the bed use self tappers again - make sure theyre big enough to go through the wood floor and metal floor (but not too big) and make sure you dont screw into anything under neath outside.

give the screw and surrounding a lick of preferred kind of underseal

cheers
matt

elmo makaroy

Post by elmo makaroy »

ive just cut all of my panels out but now i have to secure them, i have self tappers but the mdf ive used is 6mm thick and im now not sure that its flexible enuff for the self tappers to hold it, the wood seemed alot more flexible when it was one big sheet, im gunna try and make it work andway as ive just spent 20£ on the wood and a whole morning cutting it out

elmo makaroy

Post by elmo makaroy »

well ive fixed all the panels in place and im quite pleased with them, even though they are thicker 6mm mdf they are nice and sturdy and they block out alot of road noise to, ive even carpet the sliding door panel, just got to carpet the rest and fit the bed and im ready for some camping,

MattyG
80-90 Mem No: 8480

Post by MattyG »

good work! :ok