Pop Up Awnings.......Talk to me.

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

tabbytiger23
80-90 Mem No: 8287

Pop Up Awnings.......Talk to me.

Post by tabbytiger23 »

we have a small awning, but pop up awnings are appealing to me alot lately.

anyone got one? got any pics for me so i can see?
Lime Green VW t25 Autohomes conversion, 1.9DG 1987

I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff... and I want in.

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Re: Pop Up Awnings.......Talk to me.

Post by Red Westie »

Popup....blow down!......anything that hasn't got a rigid frame is likely going to bend like a banana in the wind.

Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Waste of time and money ...do it properly
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Cazz
80-90 Mem No: 8997

Post by Cazz »

Red Westie wrote:Popup....blow down!......anything that hasn't got a rigid frame is likely going to bend like a banana in the wind.

Martin

True, but ours hasn't bent, unlike our frame awning which always got bent and did our heads in. We seem to always camp when it's blowing a gale.

I wouldn't like to use one in the wind as a kitchen though, but for storing the cool box, chairs, pushchair etc at night I find ours perfect, it's also handy for shade or shelter during the day if needed.
1986 1600TD Westfalia Multivan.

tabbytiger23

Post by tabbytiger23 »

Thanks guys

i think i will save some money and stick with the one ive got, does the job, just a pain to put up. but sounds worth it to keep it as its quite a nice little one.

thank you everyone for your thoughts

I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff... and I want in.

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

One word .... Khyam
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

anaconda
80-90 Mem No: 8055

Post by anaconda »

I disagree with the chaps above.. the Quechua base seconds pop up is really good quality and a lot more convenient than a fixed awning. . My mate has a just Kampers frame awning which causes a lot of bother in high winds, mainly due to the shape and frame contacting with the van. Unless youre going camping in mad weather you'd be fine with a pop up and unlike squarish awnings they allow wind to pass over the curved sides rather than act like a sail. In any case they have the same gauge poles as many tents. Dead easy to pack too.

I did tons of research on this before buying, but ultimately its down to individual perceptions. For me I just didnt want to be wrestling with an awning when we arrive on site. We moved from a tent to a camper partly because of that. Pitching a tent after long trips through France wasnt the best end to a journey.

Pic here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-Quechua ... 2eb398ddf5
John

tabbytiger23

Post by tabbytiger23 »

anaconda wrote:I disagree with the chaps above.. the Quechua base seconds pop up is really good quality and a lot more convenient than a fixed awning. . My mate has a just Kampers frame awning which causes a lot of bother in high winds, mainly due to the shape and frame contacting with the van. Unless youre going camping in mad weather you'd be fine with a pop up and unlike squarish awnings they allow wind to pass over the curved sides rather than act like a sail. In any case they have the same gauge poles as many tents. Dead easy to pack too.

I did tons of research on this before buying, but ultimately its down to individual perceptions. For me I just didnt want to be wrestling with an awning when we arrive on site. We moved from a tent to a camper partly because of that. Pitching a tent after long trips through France wasnt the best end to a journey.

Pic here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-Quechua ... 2eb398ddf5

thanks for posting that i have my eye on it!

Gunslinger
80-90 Mem No: 3874

Post by Gunslinger »

But its a tent, not an awning

tabbytiger23

Post by tabbytiger23 »

Yes how does that work?

Gunslinger
80-90 Mem No: 3874

Post by Gunslinger »

tabbytiger23 wrote:Yes how does that work?

As an awning, it doesnt!

anaconda
80-90 Mem No: 8055

Post by anaconda »

Gunslinger wrote:But its a tent, not an awning

The base seconds is becoming quite popular as an alternative to an awning and some people actually use guy ropes to attach them to the side of the van as their size is compatible. I dont see the point but again each to their own. Ultimnately it depends what you want your awning/tent for. For all useful purposes for me it satisfies the same ends - its pitched directly next to the van, i can store larger stuff in it on longer hols (cooking equipment etc), can zip it up and go out in the van, get changed in it, sit in it if its raining etc etc. Not having to decouple it from the van is useful. Erecting it in half a minute flat is even better! For us its just perfect.
John

Mash
80-90 Mem No: 2251

Post by Mash »

Agreed, we bought one in Decathlon last year. There are 2 entrances at 90 degrees to each other. This means one side opens into the van and the other to the front (one a LHD anyway). The doorways have a small porch/hoop arrnagment that matches the top of the middle door very closely. We found ours usefull last year when it was wet, put the dog beds in the tent and left the side door open. This kept the dogs out the van, and we had no issues with rain coming in the side door.

I would upload a photo but I'm locked out of photo hosting sites at work and can't attach the file.

Matt
Matt & Ash

1983 2.1DJ LPG Westy Club Joker 5M
2010 2.0 T5 Multivan 132kW Comfortline(Aus Spec)

paulo999
80-90 Mem No: 9365

Post by paulo999 »

I'm migrating from tentsville to T25 town, and have used a Base Seconds for tenting it for a few years now, as living space add on to my Quechua 3 man pop up.

I've yet to give this a try with the van, but can vouch for the build and ease. The nature of pop designs (bendable everything) makes them bomb proof, and it takes me about 5 minutes on my own to put up and pack down.

(It's also sort-of modular. You can bridge other pop ups into it, with a dry connect. Fab tents!)

TravellingChick
80-90 Mem No: 5538

Post by TravellingChick »

I'm getting around to switching from my Khyam Motordome Classic to a Quecha Pop Up.

I have 2 friends with them and the larger version has small accessory tents which pitch under the "eves" as it were so the older kids bunk out there.

I hardly ever pitch my Khyam up to the slider anymore - I like to sit with the van door open and people watch plus with the thermo's up and the Khyam up the van interior is very gloomy.

So, when I get around tuitt I will put the Khyam up in the For Sale section.