Is a pop top any good in the wind?

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Trish
80-90 Mem No: 3987

Is a pop top any good in the wind?

Post by Trish »

Hi,
having had 2 high top vans in the past and are currently camper-less we are thinking of getting another T25

As we live and camp in windy Wales we are concerned a pop top (which would otherwise be easier to live with) might not withstand a breezy night!

Has anybody had any problems with a fabric-sided pop top ( such as a Westfalia California or similar)in windy conditions?

Also, how is the storage space in a pop top? we have 2 kids and loads of walking gear etc so there's lots of stuff for us to store in't van.

Any advice would be massively appreciated!!!
THAT WOULD BE AN ECUMENICAL MATTER!

The Reverend Pimp Daddy
80-90 Mem No: 3275

Re: Is a pop top any good in the wind?

Post by The Reverend Pimp Daddy »

I have a Devon........No upper storage at all except for my silver screen blinds (I put 4 on each bunk laying flat)

The only time I ever had to prop the poptop open with a cut down broomstick was in hurricane winds once on Anglesey

..lee..
80-90 Mem No: 4478

Post by ..lee.. »

high top / pop top debate goes on. . its obvious a pop top will not be as good in stormy conditions, if it`s really windy i`ll reverse in to the wind with my pop top. storage is better with the high top as is winter camping although pop top has many advantages too.

life`s a compramise.
it`s a big round cage and there`s too many animals in it for my liking. To help address this ring lee on 07977 765818.

ajp
80-90 Mem No: 6144

Post by ajp »

Driving a pop top in the wind isn't an issue, can't say that about a high top!

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

ajp wrote:Driving a pop top in the wind isn't an issue, can't say that about a high top!
Yes I can - I've driven both types and they both get blown around pretty much the same....
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

ajp

Post by ajp »

1664 wrote:
ajp wrote:Driving a pop top in the wind isn't an issue, can't say that about a high top!
Yes I can - I've driven both types and they both get blown around pretty much the same....

You must be unlucky then, my T25 pop top gets less problem with side winds than my T4 tin top works van. I've always put it down to to steps and pipe tube on top of the T4.

..lee..
80-90 Mem No: 4478

Post by ..lee.. »

trish, you say you`ve had high tops in the past so what problems have you encounered, everyone is different as to how they use their vans and some could not live with a high top some wont cope with a pop top.

if you had no problems with the high top i`d get a westy high top. i feel they are a better camping rig. if you do more driving than sleeping then a pop top may be best for you.

i`ve got 2 kids and winter camp free. the pop top is a pain in the a*** for this. its obvious that your camping and putting the silver screen around the canvas in the rain is wetting to say the least. i`ve got a westy high top that i was intending to fit to my pop top but with it being a syncro i`m a little hesitant as its high enough as it is and knowing me i`ll end up putting a bit of tree through the roof window.

lee
it`s a big round cage and there`s too many animals in it for my liking. To help address this ring lee on 07977 765818.

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

No problems but then again I've had new powerflex steering rack and suspension bushes on mine as well as a new steering coupling in the cab and steering column bushes. Hardly any movement now.

Driving headlong into strong winds is another debate though

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

ajp wrote:
1664 wrote:

You must be unlucky then, my T25 pop top gets less problem with side winds than my T4 tin top works van. I've always put it down to to steps and pipe tube on top of the T4.
No you've misunderstood me. My point was that I haven't noticed a difference rather than that it's a problem in both....
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

ajp

Post by ajp »

Funny, I'd just always assumed that the high tops would be a bit of a liability in side winds on account of them being so much taller than they are wide. Learn something new everyday.

weldore
80-90 Mem No: 5833

Post by weldore »

mine was a pig to keep straight in the wind...steering against the wind aint what i call fun..tis better now i have the villa pop top on
the word 'pissing' is safe

Dave and gail.....1983 Pop Top 1.9n/a diesel (aka Ready Steady Eddie)

woodmonkey
80-90 Mem No: 7148

Post by woodmonkey »

my pop top opens itself up when driving in high winds
pity those who don't drink, when they wake in the morning, thats the best they will feel all day!

ajp

Post by ajp »

woodmonkey wrote:my pop top opens itself
You can pay a lot of money for that on a T5 california!

noss vanagon
80-90 Mem No: 4258

Post by noss vanagon »

Never had any problems with pop top in the wind but it is worth having a silver screen for the pop top as it stops the canvas flapping otherwise can be quite noisey.

The Bobdogs
80-90 Mem No: 6101

Post by The Bobdogs »

I have had quite severe wind, on numerous occasions, and both the pop top and myself are still in fine fettle. ..
There are, however, signs of light staining to the head lining.
'The Bobdogs'
Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.

07793 126323