Is a pop top any good in the wind?

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Trish
80-90 Mem No: 3987

Re: Is a pop top any good in the wind?

Post by Trish »

Our hightop problems in the past was wind and limitations in where we can park as hubby has to park in a multi storey for work which isn't ideal for a multi storey van!

By the way, having a good excuse to post again on 80-90 is great...while we've been van less I have missed you guys.......thanks for your responses!

Will keep you posted how we get on!
THAT WOULD BE AN ECUMENICAL MATTER!

A KIRK
80-90 Mem No: 4538

Post by A KIRK »

A lot fo pop tops still won't fit into multistory car parks.

When its windy the noise can be a problem if your a light sleeper, obviously not as well insulated as a high top, and more parts to have to repair etc
Andrew
1600 CT Aircooled life certainly isn't in the fast lane

The car in front is my crumple zone

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Post by jamesc76 »

ajp wrote:
1664 wrote:
ajp wrote:Driving a pop top in the wind isn't an issue, can't say that about a high top!
Yes I can - I've driven both types and they both get blown around pretty much the same....

You must be unlucky then, my T25 pop top gets less problem with side winds than my T4 tin top works van. I've always put it down to to steps and pipe tube on top of the T4.

no its the fact that the suspension on the t4 is completely different (torsion bars etc)!!!! Cant quite understand how you can compare a t25 with a t4 when the question was about high tops and pop tops!

I have had my van from a tin top to pop top to high top and its all the same in wind!
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB

Gandalf
80-90 Mem No: 7510

Post by Gandalf »

noss vanagon wrote:Never had any problems with pop top in the wind but it is worth having a silver screen for the pop top as it stops the canvas flapping otherwise can be quite noisey.

Exactly that.
1989 California Pop Top.

ajp
80-90 Mem No: 6144

Post by ajp »

jamesc76 wrote:[ Cant quite understand how you can compare a t25 with a t4 when the question was about high tops and pop tops!

The T25 is a pop top and it has less issues with wind than a T4 tin top, its just an observation regarding the stabilty of my T25.

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Post by Red Westie »

It sounds like a high top is more suitable for your family but less suited because of your job situation, it's a shame that you need to compromise one for the other.
As far as the debate goes, poptops are great but use a wrap in wind and rain.
Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx

choplee
80-90 Mem No: 8091

Post by choplee »

Had a hi-top and now got a holdsworth elevation roof with solid side's ....Best of both worlds in a way ...
Both do get abit of wind rock when camping ,but the elevation roof is better on the road ...

BigTam
80-90 Mem No: 3473

Post by BigTam »

Having owned two T25 high tops, one T25 pop top, a big foooook off Florida LT and now a T4 pop top I have to admit that the high tops are best for storage but the pop tops best for driving in all weathers, mind you I never did drive with the pop top up in the wind

No seriously, have had the pop top up in my California and T4 in some strong winds, no issues what so ever
Tom

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

i have had all three roofs on a t25, and the high top is no better, no worse than a pop top in the wind when moving, the high top catches a bit of side wind because of the height, but the pop top catches just as much because of the wind getting into the roof where it joins the van, the tin top was slightly better, but useless to live in.

when parked, the hightop wins hands down, quieter, better insulation and more room, less wind battering .

the biggest thing you can do to stop the wind when moving is the spoiler under the front bumper and no ally wheels.
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

I find the wind wander no worse with alloys than the old steels

jpennington
80-90 Mem No: 8028

Post by jpennington »

Wind when camping - I've never really worried about it. I recall a stormy night on a cliff-top in North Devon a few years ago. Tent campers were lashing down with fat straps and even them some tents and caravan awnings were uprooted. No problem with the Westy though. It is probably a good idea to park facing downwind if possible, though more to reduce the effect of driving rain on the canvas.

As for space, well 20 years ago we managed a week with 2 adults, 3 kids, and a Welsh Springer spaniel. Smallest slept in hammock bed over the front seats. It did call for careful co-ordination and organisation, especially moving things around at bedtime Then we got an awning.

Wind when driving - not an issue at all. Except a couple of times in the last 24 years, travelling solo, when I set off bright and early after an overnight stop; and forgot to drop the top.
The van didn't seem to pull as well above 50 mph, and then I noticed people waving at me.

jp
1986, Westfalia Joker, DJ 2.1 engine, 5 speed.
Mine from new, now sold.
Replaced by a T6 California

ericos_bob
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by ericos_bob »

jp[/quote]Wind when driving - not an issue at all. Except a couple of times in the last 24 years, travelling solo, when I set off bright and early after an overnight stop; and forgot to drop the top.
The van didn't seem to pull as well above 50 mph, and then I noticed people waving at me.

That story reminds me of an incident I had with my poptop travelling in my bay window. Was driving along a 4x4 track in remote australia when a passing 4x4 kicked up a boulder and smashed my windscreen to bits. Ended up driving back to the nearest town which was 200kms away in pouring rain and sunnys to keep water out of my eyes. About half way back I was doing about 70km/h on a sealed road when I heard this almighty bang. When I stopped ot inspect the damage I realized I had effectively turned my kombi into a convertible. My poptop was on the road behind me. A strong wind gust pushing through my broken windscreen was too much for the top. I did manage to lift it back on the car and tie ropes around the full girth of my kombi to hold it there. Looked like a wrapped christmas present driving back into town

Oh and I have no issues with my syncro poptop so far but if I ever break a window I'll be tieing the thing down solid pretty quick

mikey9
80-90 Mem No: 3885

Post by mikey9 »

Camping in the Western Isles and Western Scotland - you may reassess your confidence in the pop top - unless you park the right way round.

We had several dropping the lid last year due to a bit of (normal for Lewis!) wind.

Driving a Hi-top year round in the Highlands (where we also get a bit of wind) I can say the only challenging bit is over the bridge to Inverness where it can be like tacking in a yacht.....I like to use both lanes if I can .

Wouldn't swap the convenience of ALL THAT STORAGE and sleeping space (and we only have 1 multi storey in the Highlands).
Mikey

Van for sale - see my For Sale Post

Member 3885

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

TMI Andy...TMI
There are, however, signs of light staining to the head lining.

geordie skydiver
80-90 Mem No: 2988

Post by geordie skydiver »

Has anyone got a picture of one of those Brickwerks Westfalia pop top thermal sheet?
Lee

Learn to skydive with me.... www.skydiveacademy.org.uk