I need an "exhaust pipe" for my fridge.

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

binka
80-90 Mem No: 6869

I need an "exhaust pipe" for my fridge.

Post by binka »

Took the fridge out today to stand it upside down for 24 hours as it didn't seem to be getting too cold on gas the other weekend.

There is some sort of flexible, silver exhaust pipe from fridge to the vent which has disintegrated. Can you get replacement ones from a caravan spares sales type place?

Thanks.

timber technician
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1203

Re: I need an "exhaust pipe" for my fridge.

Post by timber technician »

Yes you can. Dont use without !!

binka

Post by binka »

I won't promise. Thanks, will go to caravan sales place tomorrow and get one.

timber technician
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1203

Post by timber technician »

If you have a problem getting some let me know and I will send you some.

binka

Post by binka »

Thanks, I'm going away though on Thurs so need to get one fitted before then. I should have known it was a mistake to do this so close to going away. Hubby has now pointed out that I only had the valve from the gas bottle half open which is probably the frisge wasn't very cold. It was lit though. :run

Rozzo
80-90 Mem No: 3339

Post by Rozzo »

just a tip,, you should only ever open the gas valve one turn,, you get no more gas opening it further and in an emergency one turn will stop the flow of gas :wink:
LT owner and positively rattling around with the new found space
member 3339

binka

Post by binka »

Well I've been to 3 different caravan places today and none of them had any, they said the flexible stuff isn't very safe and not recommended. Got sent to a marina as they thought boats might have flexible ones, no luck. Then got sent to some sort of bus builders, they have something which looks very similar to me though they said the new stuff is stainless steel and the old stuff isn't. Doesn't seem quite as bendy as the old one, however they didn't want any money for it as they said it was just an old offcut so can't complain.

ajp
80-90 Mem No: 6144

Post by ajp »

I replaced mine with 25mm marine flexible exhaust from here. Not massivly flexible but alot more give than the original flue. With a little flue tape you can also get a proper seal at either end.

mioba
80-90 Mem No: 7850

Post by mioba »

Gunzl sells
them
Westfalia Hightop Top Joker 1.6TD - aka Daisy, my labour of love

binka

Post by binka »

Well the stainless steel stuff I got yesterday is no good. It fits onto the fridge perfectly. However the bit of pipe sticking out of the van is a different size from the fridge pipe and unfortunately is exactly the same dia as this stainless steel pipe. So it won't connect up to that either.

I've ordered a 32mm dia length of marine exhaust from the site AJP recommended. :ok They do next day delivery. If that doesn't fit then I'm going to be fridgeless for 2 weeks camping in Devon which ain't very good at all. Everyone cross their fingers please.

AJP - is it likely that the marine exhaust will be a bit squishy so I can squeeze it into the bigger pipe? Thanks.

ajp
80-90 Mem No: 6144

Post by ajp »

Ah now you mention it maybe it was the 32mm I ordered :?. If I used 25 then your 32 should fit over nicely however if I used 32 you'll need a small piece of metal pipe to slide inside both pipe and flue fittings. I used a piece of redundant tent pole (about 40mm long) just to act as a guide between the two. Then seal around both ends with some flue tape (or any heat proof tape will work). The insert pipe is only there as a guide but the end result is a flue that passes a flue gas spill test unlike the slightly dodgy original design.

pocolow
80-90 Mem No: 6300

Post by pocolow »

I have the same issue with my fridge,so I can't use it with gas , but ok on 12v and 240v hookup..so let us know how you get on :ok
thecampervanman.blogspot.co.uk/

http://twitter.com/#!/Pocolow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

binka

Post by binka »

The 32mm marine hose has turned up, it fits perfectly on the bit of pipe going out of the van. It fits but is slightly loose on the pipe coming out of the fridge. I reckon if I stick the ebespechaer pipe on the fridge, the marine house on the van side, then the pipe will go into the hose and sorted. I just need hubby to come back home and confirm that's ok.

If I had some flue tape I reckon the hose could go straight on the fridge and have some tape wrapped round it to seal it a bit better. But I don't have any flue tape and I'm guessing that using duct tape would not be good.

If one of the pipes is a slightly loose fit how much of a problem is it likely to be? The pipe coming out the fridge is a good couple of inches long, so I could slide the hose all the way up there so any gas coming out wouldn't be near the slightly loose fitting end, so any fumes would be getting directed a good distance down the hose and then out of the van? Is it gas or carbon monoxide that I need to be worrying about leaking from the fridge outlet?

binka

Post by binka »

I just spoke to hubby and he said a jubilee clip round the marine hose should tighten it up over the fridge pipe so that sounds promising.

andisnewsyncro
80-90 Mem No: 3311

Post by andisnewsyncro »

Please make sure the flue is properly sealed and 100% safe. You really don't want the exhaust gasses coming back into your van whilst you are asleep in there. What you're suggesting sounds ok, but I personally wouldn't be happy without someone else checking it over first. There's also possible insurance implications if anything goes wrong and they discover it's had an incorrect pipe fitted. I don't mean to sound like a harbinger of doom, but gas is best left to gas fitters.

Make sure you have a carbon monoxide alarm fitted and if in any doubt get the whole installation checked over by a qualified gas engineer. Brownhills in Newark will give your system a safety check for not a lot of money. There might be someone nearer but that's the 1st that springs to mind.
What a long strange trip it's been