quick ques: running fridge off battery or lpg when driving

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

cholmes

quick ques: running fridge off battery or lpg when driving

Post by cholmes »

Hi,

We've just bought a T25 (which we love!). I have a quick basic question I was hoping someone could help with:

When driving is it best to run the fridge off of the leasure battery or lpg? or does it not matter?

Any advice much appreciated

Thank you,

Chris

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Re: quick ques: running fridge off battery or lpg when driving

Post by lloydy »

Leccie, as gas should be isolated when moving. Fridge will be connected to starter battery, and will only work when engine is running. That s if its wired up correctly :ok
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

I have always run mine off gas. A lot of people do - some camper manuals state that you can.
Elf and safety can get stuffed - there is more risk from a tank of petrol under your backside! If I am cooking something in the oven I don't turn the gas off just because I am moving.
I live in the real world not the namby pamby nanny state. :lol:
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

Again its preference to me . I do and switch it off for filling up (oiler so not often) and I too have stuff in the oven doing for when we arrive,
mike

geordie skydiver
80-90 Mem No: 2988

Post by geordie skydiver »

I drove all around on our Scandopian adventure with the fridge running on gas for 3 weeks.

Cold beer every night!
Lee

Learn to skydive with me.... www.skydiveacademy.org.uk

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

The actual risk is liquid gas getting into the regulator as it swills around under driving conditions and then through to the burner jet where instead of getting a little blue flame you could get a large yellow flame thrower type of effort. This is the same effect seen in parafin or petrol stoves when you pump them before the burner is preheated. In my opinion this is a significant hazard. Considering the simplicity of a relay interlocked feed to the fridge so as only to power the fridge while the alternator is running I think this is a no brainer. Unless of course the gas equipment suppliers would underwrite the practice.
Cheers
Wolfie
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

Oldiebut goodie

"liquid gas" = oxymoron :lol:
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:I have always run mine off gas. A lot of people do - some camper manuals state that you can.
Elf and safety can get stuffed - there is more risk from a tank of petrol under your backside! If I am cooking something in the oven I don't turn the gas off just because I am moving.
I live in the real world not the namby pamby nanny state. :lol:

Hope I'm not next to you when I'm filling up in a petrol station.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

Oldiebut goodie

Duh, it's turned off before you enter - use your common sense. Same as metalmickey.
I hope that I am not next to you if you cannot understand the basics of safety. :lol:
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

ajp
80-90 Mem No: 6144

Post by ajp »

The other problem with running your fridge on gas when your driving is that its highly unlikely that the flue will draw properly and you will just slowly fill the back of the van with CO. Not that great a problem on nice days when the windows are open but when its raining it may have one or two fatal side affects

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

pure conjecture,opinion or proven fact
mike :ok

lhd
80-90 Mem No: 1808

Post by lhd »

ajp wrote:The other problem with running your fridge on gas when your driving is that its highly unlikely that the flue will draw properly and you will just slowly fill the back of the van with CO. Not that great a problem on nice days when the windows are open but when its raining it may have one or two fatal side affects
I totally agree with the oldie but nice guy. :lol:

When your driving the air outside is moving so therefore has less air pressure than the air in your van, law of physics says that while you are moving the exhaust gas from the fridge will actually be being sucked out.
I'm sure Westfalia wouldn't have printed in their manual that it's ok to drive whilst on gas if it wasn't.....
I have never had any problems and have an up to date British gas CO detector which has never gone off.
I always turn it off before refilling not only for fire risk but also as the filling tanks usually blow loads of ssshit into your reg, thus fridge jet.

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Thanks for putting my mind at rest Rob, I sure dont want to risk dying :rofl
mike

ajp
80-90 Mem No: 6144

Post by ajp »

Boilers and fire flues in areas of very high winds often won't draw without special cowls. Why would the van flue at speed be any different? You choice, personally couldn't care less how you run your fridge but the original question asked for advice. So I gave my opinion.

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

lhd wrote:
ajp wrote:The other problem with running your fridge on gas when your driving is that its highly unlikely that the flue will draw properly and you will just slowly fill the back of the van with CO. Not that great a problem on nice days when the windows are open but when its raining it may have one or two fatal side affects
I totally agree with the oldie but nice guy. :lol:

When your driving the air outside is moving so therefore has less air pressure than the air in your van, law of physics says that while you are moving the exhaust gas from the fridge will actually be being sucked out.
I'm sure Westfalia wouldn't have printed in their manual that it's ok to drive whilst on gas if it wasn't.....
I have never had any problems and have an up to date British gas CO detector which has never gone off.
I always turn it off before refilling not only for fire risk but also as the filling tanks usually blow loads of ssshit into your reg, thus fridge jet.

Gunna argue with you here mofo. Didnt westfalia say its ok to use the gas while driving? I drive my van on the odd jaunty angle and if the fridge works perfectly well in these conditions Bit steeper than a road with tar mac & Bit of mud I would say its ok especially on calm roads if mine will work with its ar*e in the air :wink:

jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More