Changing Devon gas struts tips, please!

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Peepshow Paddy

Changing Devon gas struts tips, please!

Post by Peepshow Paddy »

Hi there,

I bought some new gas struts to replace the tired ones on my Devon roof, but what I assumed would be a relatively straightforward job of changing them proved impossible! We got the rear vertical one on, but that was it! The others just won't go on! No matter how much force we push the roof up with from inside, the struts are just a bit too long - it's almost as if the fabric has shrunk a bit.

I don't think we're doing anything wrong, and they're definitely the right struts.

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

paddy

ambivert
80-90 Mem No: 6378

Re: Changing Devon gas struts tips, please!

Post by ambivert »

I had to remove one of the rear struts from my Devon recently to play about with the hinge. As soon as I'd pushed it off from the nut, it grew in length and was a total pain to get it back on because of the force required to compress it back to its original smaller length, in the end I had to do something silly with screwdrivers and string (which snapped nearly sending me flying across the road) to lever it back into place. So I wonder if maybe the other struts are like that too? You need what seems like your whole body weight to compress them. Ideally you could use an open-sided metal tube just the right length with a couple of holes drilled at either end so you could compress the strut then lock it into place inside the tube with pegs in the holes to hold it, then attach it to the van and release the pegs once the bolts were back on... good luck...
1983 Devon Moonraker poptop 1.9 DG (early) lowered 50mm - Back on the road after 5 years of SORN!

Peepshow Paddy

Post by Peepshow Paddy »

Good tip, thanks - there was no compressing the struts earlier - they're seriously strong! I do have some spring compressors which I could try to cobble something together with - I don't know how I'll get them on to the bolts though!

Cheers anyway,

Paddy

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

Try a ratchet luggage strap for compressing the struts. You may have to make some kind of wire hook/loop at each end, but they work a treat.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

Peepshow Paddy

Post by Peepshow Paddy »

Nice one Colin! That's reassuring - I was in my local Homebase buying ratchet straps in order to try them for this at almost the very moment you posted!

Peepshow Paddy

Post by Peepshow Paddy »

Finally done it!! Bloody hell it was a struggle though. Couldn't have done it without a ratchet strap though, or the missus!

Phew! Right, next is checking the fuses and a damned good wash, it's filthy! (The van, not the misssus...)

Mark6455
80-90 Mem No: 13616

Post by Mark6455 »

Hi paddy just wondering where did u get ur struts from as I need to replace mine
cheers

Peepshow Paddy

Post by Peepshow Paddy »

Mark6455 wrote:Hi paddy just wondering where did u get ur struts from as I need to replace mine
cheers

Hi Mark,

I got them from here: http://campershop.co.uk/devon-t25.htm#side. You could try this one too though: http://www.sgs-engineering.com/pages/st ... Camper+Van

Good luck!

Paddy

Mark6455

Post by Mark6455 »

Great thanks mate wish me luck on my battle to get them on

Mark6455

Post by Mark6455 »

Been on the site but I'm not 100 percent sure which roof is on my old girl
I will try to upload some pics asap but for now I'll try to describe it
it lifts from the side has one strut front and back with a sliding bracket arrangement which keeps it inline when being raised the only sticker on it says autoroof but not sure if this is original
any advice?

blu trukkie
80-90 Mem No: 482

Post by blu trukkie »

Why do people sell the Hydraulic dampers for Devon side elevating roofs in sets of 4, mine only has 3 places, why would I want to buy 4, thats too many??? ............................ Or am I missing something as i'm sober. :roll:
My doctor asked if any members of my family suffered from insanity, I replied, Hell no, we all kinda enjoy it.

Shoot low boys ..... they're ridin' Shetland Ponies.

Peepshow Paddy

Post by Peepshow Paddy »

Hi there,

Pretty sure the SGS site sells individual struts. Hopefully that'll sort you out too mark?

Cheers,

Paddy

Mark6455

Post by Mark6455 »

Cheers paddy I'm on nights as a paramedic so ignore the silly posting time

Peepshow Paddy

Post by Peepshow Paddy »

Ha ha, no worries - I work days in marketing (for my sins) and nights as a DJ (where I sin!) so I know the odd times feeling! 8-)

Mark6455

Post by Mark6455 »

odd questiion now

how can i upload some pics of my van to get advice on what pop top conversion i have and also advice on repairs and such

cheers guys