Home built interior units, ply or mdf???

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

onecogwonder
80-90 Mem No: 8008

Home built interior units, ply or mdf???

Post by onecogwonder »

I need to add a couple of storage units to my syncro, namely a rear top locker and side cupboard in the back. My old bay had a thick marine ply floor which I hacked up to make the rock n roll bed unit, heavy but handy as it was reused. Now I am looking at either thinner marine ply or mdf to keep the weight down, any favourites with you guys??

Strong, light, or cheap.....pick two!

eatcustard
80-90 Mem No: 6062

Re: Home built interior units, ply or mdf???

Post by eatcustard »

Ply is what most people use

MDF is pants and is not light
https://www.penguinjones.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; PM me for your 10% discount

rainman
80-90 Mem No: 4142

Post by rainman »

Yes I went for MDF and was surprised how heavy it is, and pants. If there's a next time, I'll use ply.
1983 2L a/c CU homebrew (ex-Autohomes Kamper)

chippieshaun
80-90 Mem No: 4640

Post by chippieshaun »

MDF is a fantastically versatile material if you know how to work it .......... but not for camper vans!
It's too heavy and dont like moisture (unless you use moisture resistent or , even better , exterior grade)
Stick to ply. Doesn't need to be marine. Good quality WBP is perfectly adequate.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

ply or even marine ply
strong and light
My furniture has 2" X 1" Ash frames with 5mm ply boarding
cupboard doors are 12mm ply
12mm ply worktop with melamine covering

MDF is a sponge
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

A lot depends on the finish you are going to use and how it will blend with any existing furniture. MDF is unfairly maligned but weight and moisture absorption depend on the final applied finishes and construction methods used as well as the environment where the material is to be used. Sometimes a combination of materials is the best solution rather than one specific material throughout. There is nothing wrong with using Ply, Natural Timbers, MDF or Vohringer board and all have their advantages and disadvantages. To say one material is specifically better suited than another without seeing your planned construction is treading on thin ice. I used all the materials mentioned above for my re-fit and the result is exactly what I wanted regards cost, function, style, durability, weight, etc.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

syncrosimon
80-90 Mem No: 3784

Post by syncrosimon »

Just to be different I have light weight box section steel frame with 3mm ply pop riveted on. Next time I would glue the 3mm ply with sikaflex. It does not rattle one single little bit. the doors are 12mm ply. I have just painted the ply as a finish, the van gets used hard for mountain bikes, dogs and off roading. When the finish gets tired I spend an hour rollering on some more paint. very pleased with it.

Simon.

PS in my experience you can only screw something once into mdf, after that the screws just get loose. I dont have any screws on my self build.
1991 16" DJ (sold)
2006 Subaru Outback 3.0R
2010 Yamaha Ténéré
2000 KTM LC400

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

Yeah...Using Screws in MDF is a problem, have to insert a hardwood plug or glue a hardwood section behind and bite into that. Nice material for painting and easy to cut and shape but heavy....best suited for hollow panel construction using 3 or 4mm thickness, and you can then insert the hardwood blocks inside.....Vohringer Board is the best but expensive.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

onecogwonder wrote:I need to add a couple of storage units to my syncro, namely a rear top locker and side cupboard in the back. My old bay had a thick marine ply floor which I hacked up to make the rock n roll bed unit, heavy but handy as it was reused. Now I am looking at either thinner marine ply or mdf to keep the weight down, any favourites with you guys??

Strong, light, or cheap.....pick two!

Buy a second hand factory interior.

jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

onecogwonder
80-90 Mem No: 8008

Post by onecogwonder »

mmm...I am always looking but a little shocked at how much some of the traders charge for a unit or a door or piece of trim. I want to be away in the van during April and June so was hoping to find something or build something by then!

jebiga41
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 5654

Post by jebiga41 »

If you can wait a westy interior can be picked up cheap on the continent paid 300 euros for mine complete (the older wood finish one, personally find the white/grey ones too much like a doctors surgery) and can be put in very quickly and fits perfectly. back to the subject tho a mate of mine has an mdf interiour in his LT which seems to work fine and is treated with linseed oil (helps to repel parasites) not my cup of tea but seems to function well. One thing to consider about MDF is its sound deadening properties which are excellent but for a syncro would either go with factory, aluminium or dybond (aluminium sandwich which is very light and also strong and availble in lots of finishes) or lastly marine ply try googling for ideas the jaeger german tv bus interior is quite cool and remeber seeing an ultra light syncro interior out there
VW T3/T25 and Syncro Gearbox rebuilds
http://vantopia.ie

woodmonkey
80-90 Mem No: 7148

Post by woodmonkey »

why does everyone go on about the weight of mdf, these are commercial vehicles, and mdf is about 8-10 kilo's per sheet heavier, which would mean an average camping interior made from mdf would weigh about 40 kilo's more than in ply, thats a large dog or a small wife, it's not gonna slow you down that much!
pity those who don't drink, when they wake in the morning, thats the best they will feel all day!

eatcustard
80-90 Mem No: 6062

Post by eatcustard »

woodmonkey wrote:why does everyone go on about the weight of mdf, these are commercial vehicles, and mdf is about 8-10 kilo's per sheet heavier, which would mean an average camping interior made from mdf would weigh about 40 kilo's more than in ply, thats a large dog or a small wife, it's not gonna slow you down that much!

In a 50bhp smelly diesel that's a huge amount.
Even a 78BHP 1.9 for that matter will moan.
Only the glorious 2.1i will take it in its stride :D

Extra weight costs fuel, fuel costs £££

and MDF is pants :lol:
https://www.penguinjones.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; PM me for your 10% discount

woodmonkey
80-90 Mem No: 7148

Post by woodmonkey »

eatcustard wrote:
and MDF pants :lol:
:shock:
pity those who don't drink, when they wake in the morning, thats the best they will feel all day!

EarthWormJim
80-90 Mem No: 2885

Post by EarthWormJim »

woodmonkey wrote:
eatcustard wrote:
and MDF pants :lol:
:shock:

MDF pants will never catch on :lol: :lol: :run
1.9DF 4 Speed LPG 1984 tintop
Walking around in the back ground tripping over the bloody cat