Fitting hi-top onto T25

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Raphaelaphant

Fitting hi-top onto T25

Post by Raphaelaphant »

Hi there, I would like some advice if soemone knows about this..
I want to attach a fibreglass hi-top onto my 1987 T25. the hole i cut will be smaller than the roof size and only over the standing room in the van i.e. not above the driver and passerger seats or the engine at the back. i thought maybe layer on the fibreaglass to build up the connection between the fibreglass hi-top and original roof, then maybe some metal corner 'brackets' to strengthen the connection?

What do you think? has anyone done this? Many thanks, any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks, Raphaela

billy739
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1541

Re: Fitting hi-top onto T25

Post by billy739 »

spread some panel sealer (tiger seal) or similar on the roof, drop the high top on your van and wait for it to dry!

thats it.
no nail;s,screws,rivots ,fibreglass ect just some 'glue'

pocolow
80-90 Mem No: 6300

Post by pocolow »

Pocolow did this a few months back (this is MrsPocolow), I'll get him to come on and give some tips.

thecampervanman.blogspot.co.uk/

http://twitter.com/#!/Pocolow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pocolow
80-90 Mem No: 6300

Post by pocolow »

Thankyou Mrs Pocolow ...Just as billy739 says, the hightop glues to the roof. I used a special evostick sealant I got from B&Q. And as the roof sits nicely on the roof gutters it won't go any where till the glue sets,I used 3 tubes overall ,You will need a couple of friends to help you lift the roof on, but from starting to cut the hole to having the roof on it only took 2 hours. The wood you see on the roof is for bed base and the frame around the hole,its easier to fit that before you put the roof on and that is secured using small angle brackets and glue. :ok Mark
thecampervanman.blogspot.co.uk/

http://twitter.com/#!/Pocolow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

futurecut
80-90 Mem No: 2407

Post by futurecut »

The foolproof method is to take an angle grinder with a flappy paddle and remove the paint from the external roof just inside where the roof will fit
when its all lined up properly. Place the roof, get out, view and measure from all angles and when happy mix up a batch of grp filler paste and fill in all round the inner circumference of the roof. This way you get ferocious fixing strength, no possibility of leaks and it's set within 40 minutes to the point wher you can drive away.

I learned this from a pro fitter who'd had a few glued roofs becoming unstuck. The hightops really take the wind and the torsion forces in the van.

4 years on mine is still perfect.

Stinks for a bit though

Raphaelaphant

Post by Raphaelaphant »

brilliant! Thanks all of you pro's for the really useful advice. Will have a go tomorow with some friends, Let you know how i get on :P Cheers Raphaela

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

futurecut wrote:The foolproof method is to take an angle grinder with a flappy paddle and remove the paint from the external roof just inside where the roof will fit
when its all lined up properly. Place the roof, get out, view and measure from all angles and when happy mix up a batch of grp filler paste and fill in all round the inner circumference of the roof. This way you get ferocious fixing strength, no possibility of leaks and it's set within 40 minutes to the point wher you can drive away.

I learned this from a pro fitter who'd had a few glued roofs becoming unstuck. The hightops really take the wind and the torsion forces in the van.

4 years on mine is still perfect.

Stinks for a bit though

This is exactly what Yorkshire Conversions did to fit our roof .... 6 years ago. :wink:
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Post by jamesc76 »

You dont need/want to remove the paint as your opening a can of worms for rust to start rub the paint down with course sand paper that will be fine!
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB