T25 all new to me??! Advice

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

festivalgirl73
80-90 Mem No: 6566

Re: T25 all new to me??! Advice

Post by festivalgirl73 »

Steve&Bev wrote:Ah another Viking. Have been watching this one on ebay for a while now.

One bit of advice from me, make sure that any holes from where the back roof bar was fitted are filled with sealant of some kind to stop the water getting in. If it does it will rot the wood out inside of the fibreglass.

Steve

Thanks for that, I may need to come back to you for advice when it arrives so I know exactly what I'm looking for!! :oops:

TravellingChick
80-90 Mem No: 5538

Post by TravellingChick »

Hi FestivalGirl

Congrats on your new camper (without camping kit but even so :lol: ), I bought a T25 Autohomes yesterday and am very excited.

As for knowing what you're talking about, me neither LOL. I can't even remember if mine is Aircooled or not but I think she's pretty solid and she's called Tinkerbell.

Hopefully see ya around somewhere this summer eh!

Sarah

Therunner
80-90 Mem No: 2735

Post by Therunner »

that's cool then, as long as it's got a name what else matters :P
Around the World in a Tea Daze

1980 1776CT Laurie engine :-)
1992 Leyland Daf panel van camper
1978 Sherpa Autosleeper DeLuxe
Sprite Major Caravan

rainman
80-90 Mem No: 4142

Post by rainman »

TravellingChick wrote:I can't even remember if mine is Aircooled or not

tinkerbell looks watercooled, judging by that big grill on the front. The important bit is the grill inside for making toast.
1983 2L a/c CU homebrew (ex-Autohomes Kamper)

Tex Ritter
80-90 Mem No: 1057

Post by Tex Ritter »

festivalgirl73 wrote:
Tex Ritter wrote:
festivalgirl73 wrote:Said it has a 1.9l refurbished engine, 12 months MOT and has just been serviced, no more info than that I'm afraid, oh it has twin carbs but I have not got a clue what that means??! :run

I hope I find a buyer as innocent as you when I come to sell my 2ltr aircoooled :ok

Tex Ritter

Oh Dear, Do you think I have made a blunder then??? Do you think I am an utter nonse??! :?

Not at all, it makes the selling lark easier that's all.

Have fun in your new camper. :ok

TR
If you never have a route planned ...how can you ever be lost?

TravellingChick
80-90 Mem No: 5538

Post by TravellingChick »

Well, we weren't told she had a name so daughter came up with Tinky. She was encouraged into Tink or Tinkerbell by persuasive Mummy, otherwise to me Tinky just sounded like a toilet requirement!! Dunno why, it's never been part of our vernacular, wee has always been sufficient LOL.

Too true, it's all about the toast!

kathyshack
80-90 Mem No: 1242

Post by kathyshack »

don't worry about not knowing anything about your van. When i bought mine i had done no research at all. didn't have a clue whether it was Aircooled or watercoled in fact didn't even know what that meant. I bought it and took it for a service. the garage told me it was Aircooled after they'd serviced it..... obviously did a great job as it was watercooled!! :shock:
you learn loads through this site. Not that i fix anything on mine really, as i don't feel confident, but at least i have some idea of what is what etc. Get yourself a good mechanic you can trust and you're right :ok
Happy camping!
Member no: 1242

Learning something new every day!

www.funplace2b.co.uk/vw

www.funplace2b.co.uk/camp

Vanagonman

Post by Vanagonman »

ju wrote:Welcome!

Nothing wrong with aircooleds, so long as you service and maintain them well. Don't get a van with 1.6 CT engine as they are crap, go for a 2l CU if you are looking at Aircooled vans. If rust is there, you should see it down the seams (depending on how well the repsray was done), wheel arches, rear lower quarters, and just above the bumper on the front are common areas.

Hope this helps, Ju

Never been blessed with the 1.6 CT, but I will say the only problem with them is that they crack heads....

BUT HERE'S THE BEST PART......

wait for it......

It's a Beetle engine in disguise, and as such, you can purchase the heads BRAND NEW for much less than a set of rebuilt heads for the 2.0

So, it's a toss up. If you can bear the 1.6 power output (same hp as the 1.6 diesel), the 1.6 CT is fine.
was....82 Westy, 80 Mk. 3 Transporter, 69 Bay
now....66 T1 LHD 1.6 Bus

* If you need it to arrive safe & in one piece..*

dugcati
80-90 Mem No: 3825

Post by dugcati »

I would like to think that when looking for a van then the 'right' one will find you regardless of engine type/age/colour/trimmings etc :D

As has already been said regarding the Aircooled stuff - there are enough people on this forum to assist you with pretty much any T25 related issue that has ever been :wink:

Doug
It is by will alone that I set my 'van' in motion!

Therunner
80-90 Mem No: 2735

Post by Therunner »

hey you, any news??? :?: ??? :(
Around the World in a Tea Daze

1980 1776CT Laurie engine :-)
1992 Leyland Daf panel van camper
1978 Sherpa Autosleeper DeLuxe
Sprite Major Caravan