POLL HIGH TOP OR POP TOP ROOF ?

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

camper man
80-90 Mem No: 6255

POLL HIGH TOP OR POP TOP ROOF ?

Post by camper man »

iam looking for a roof to put on my t25 whats your views best way to go?

is a high top type roof better than a pop top type roof? :ok

Team28crew
80-90 Mem No: 5770

Re: POLL HIGH TOP OR POP TOP ROOF ?

Post by Team28crew »

Hi top for me, 2 kids nice and secure, warm, wont rip or flap in the wind, no moving parts (springs struts ect) to go wrong, just can't get in some carparks, but then again I don't do any carpark camping.
1986 1.9DF LeisureDrive Hi Top LPG'd by Gasure

windysurfer
80-90 Mem No: 3805

Post by windysurfer »

Poptops look better but hightops are more practical, warmer, more storage.

Each to their own
If Carlsberg made Coachbuilts...........Image T4 Karmann Colorado

Vanda
80-90 Mem No: 5465

Post by Vanda »

definitely high top for me - as above really, lots of room for storage. we went round Spain for almost 4 weeks last summer, really couldn't have done it without that extra storage up top.

It was a bit scary when big lorries overtake on the motorway at first, felt like I was being pushed off the road, but I'm getting used to it now.

another problem is if you would like to keep the van in a garage or even your average carport - at about 2.6m high, it's nigh on impossible to find one high enough.

camper man
80-90 Mem No: 6255

Post by camper man »

i do like the high tops due to the extra storage space but i cant find any to buy but ive been offered a devon roof cheap i just dont want to waste money and not get the right roof first time :ok

Llamapup
80-90 Mem No: 8366

Post by Llamapup »

I use my pop top Westy camper as a second family car, so I was keen to get something a little more "car-like" and not too over-the-top (no pun intended). So for me its a car first and a camper second. I much prefer the way pop-tops look. Having said all that, I'm sure I would appreciate more storage space. May camper feels big enough as is I just don't want to drag around a giant plastic roof where ever I go.
1988 LHD Volkswagen Westfalia Camper

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Post by jamesc76 »

camper man wrote:i do like the high tops due to the extra storage space but i cant find any to buy but ive been offered a devon roof cheap i just dont want to waste money and not get the right roof first time :ok

Timber technicians post on here and have there own website timbet techs website!!!! I had one of there roofs fitted last bonfire do really good items and i love all the space !!!
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB

quagmire
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 5077

Post by quagmire »

i recently fitted a high top to my panel van.the storage is brilliant for us, with a stroppy 11 year old who wants to bring everything he owns! i can still see out of the back window when travelling now :ok

samk
80-90 Mem No: 6330

Post by samk »

pop-top for me. yes they are less practical and have a tendancy to leak (mine does) but they look better, keep everything on the rustic side and they nable you to get into more car parket etc. U have the added bonus of a hard sidfed pop top which to me is the best of both worlds. Also, the side flaps hinge down so there's plenty of ventilaton for when its hot.

If you do go for a pop top you have to be prepared to spend time keeping it watertight, unless you're really lucky!
83 2ltr Air-Cooled Autohomes Kamper. Kamper roof died. Fitted an original Westy Pop-top.

Steve P
80-90 Mem No: 4319

Post by Steve P »

Pop top for us too.
Tia is a 1980 2 litre air cooled viking roof

captaincalamityclam
80-90 Mem No: 6497

Post by captaincalamityclam »

We have a High top, and to be honest after owning a Poptop camper for 5 years can't believe how we got on without a hitop, you can simply always step into your camper without stooping all the time, the insulation and carpet covering all over retains the heat better than a thin flappy canvas and there is always storage that keeps the camper clutter free and allows for much easier happier camping, our hi top can fit about 30 full size canvas prints in the rear and a how mass of greetings cards in the front hi top section.

As for practicality, apart from not being able to get into barrier car parks, which I could never even with the poptop as that came in at 2.1m, a lot of new barriers are 1.8m

Also where ever you are, standing up in your van you get a nice view through the side windows in the Hitop...

HiTop all the way for me
1988 Leisure Drive Hi Top, 1.9 goes by the name of Fredrik

eatcustard
80-90 Mem No: 6062

Post by eatcustard »

Hi De Hi-Top

room for a big TV at the front :)
https://www.penguinjones.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; PM me for your 10% discount

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

Like James I'd whole-heartedly recommend the Timbertech stylee hitop. Had ours for 6 years now and for a family of 4 it's the only warm, safe and sensible way to tour. The Leisuredrive hitop roof has loads of room as well but I'm not sure if you can get them fitted 'new' anymore ?

Ian.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

minke
80-90 Mem No: 4200

Post by minke »

I am saving up for a pop-top Bus. Presently I have a high top & love it for winter camping. But really like the bus, for summer camping. :ok

Molly Man
80-90 Mem No: 3800

Post by Molly Man »

Pop Top... goes where other campers dare not go... and doesn't look like a giant jacuzzi!... but I'm biased. :D
Self catering traditional North Norfolk cottage available...pm me!

1987 VW 1.6 Turbo Diesel with Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top conversion circa 1990...all original and simply the best!