Camping Gaz bottle replacement for a rookie

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Llamapup
80-90 Mem No: 8366

Camping Gaz bottle replacement for a rookie

Post by Llamapup »

Hello All

I have just purchased a 1988 Westfalia camper that I have yet to take out for more than a trip to do the weekly shop. I'm keen to take it for a spin tommorow and make a cup of tea in some random scenic Yorkshire Dales location. Problem is, the Camping Gaz bottle is empty.

How do I get more gas. Do I get my Camping Gaz bottle refilled or replaced? Can I buy a Calor Gas bottle to replace it, or will that require some special adaptor?

Thanks

Llamapup
1988 LHD Volkswagen Westfalia Camper

dwayne
80-90 Mem No: 5649

Re: Camping Gaz bottle replacement for a rookie

Post by dwayne »

hi mate , you have to change the bottle for a full one at any good camping store , look on google just put camping gaz leeds and there are a few one in Otley called Caseyscamping , also one in leeds Jacks , if you use calor then you will need a different regulator .

hope that helps
1988 Autohomes Komet 1.9DG
DIKXEY

Llamapup

Post by Llamapup »

Thanks Dwayne

That does help. I'll get my bottle switched.

Chris

lloyd
80-90 Mem No: 3244

Post by lloyd »

Keep in mind campgaz will not vaporize below 0. Need Calor or similar (LPG) as it will vaporize to -40. We use Calor year round.
88 1.9 gassed w/Westy conversion & Reimo topper

MOBS

Tex Ritter
80-90 Mem No: 1057

Post by Tex Ritter »

Llamapup wrote:Hello All

I have just purchased a 1988 Westfalia camper that I have yet to take out for more than a trip to do the weekly shop. I'm keen to take it for a spin tommorow and make a cup of tea in some random scenic Yorkshire Dales location. Problem is, the Camping Gaz bottle is empty.

How do I get more gas. Do I get my Camping Gaz bottle refilled or replaced? Can I buy a Calor Gas bottle to replace it, or will that require some special adaptor?

Thanks

Llamapup

Campingaz 907 is the most expensive to refill £19.50 on the web site. Far better get a 4.5kg calor propane £13.50 and buy a new regulator...no more than £6. I find that the calor gas lasts longer then the campingaz, but that's only my opinion. :ok
If you never have a route planned ...how can you ever be lost?

Jeanie
80-90 Mem No: 2969

Post by Jeanie »

Go outdoors sell the 907 for about 16.50. The cheapest I managed to get it last year was from Tiso for 15.00 don't know if tiso stores are down south.

jean
Am no daft am dyslexic (did a spell that correctly?)

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

You can buy an adaptor that allows you to connect the regulator to either calor or camping gaz bottles. I have both and keep the GAZ bottle as a backup, also find it quite useful being so 'dinky' and easy to store.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

Nicola&Tony
80-90 Mem No: 3095

Post by Nicola&Tony »

lloyd wrote:Keep in mind campgaz will not vaporize below 0. Need Calor or similar (LPG) as it will vaporize to -40.

Probably worth mentioning that Calor sell both; butane (blue bottles) and propane (red bottles). As lloyd implies above, butane isn't good at low temperatures, but propane is.

Tony
Looking for: window apertures for side windows, at the back of the van

T25; 1985; RHD; 1.9DG petrol / LPG; white Autosleeper high-top; Looking rusty again!

LT31; 1993; RHD; 2.4L petrol; high-top; diy camper project.

Llamapup

Post by Llamapup »

Thanks for all that guys. I presumed my gas tank was empty because I could not get it to light. When I took it out to exchange it I realised that it still had a little gas sloshing around the bottom.

I consulted my Westfalia owners handbook (written in German) and found a diagram that indicated how the various valves needed to be positioned to opperate the cooker and fridge. I had to wait a bit to get the gas to flow. I think some of it may have liquified in a little dip in the piping. I have since managed to get things cooking! I'm pretty happy about that.

Are there any benefits to Camping Gaz at all? I may well need to get a Calor Gas regulator if that is what all of you reccomend.

Thanks

Llamapup

Nicola&Tony

Post by Nicola&Tony »

Llamapup wrote:Are there any benefits to Camping Gaz at all?

It's widely available, so easy to get hold of if you run out when you're away from home. The bottles are compact and fit into little cupboards. We use Camping Gaz, but would like to get an underfloor gas tank fitted when money permits.

Tony

T25; 1985; RHD; 1.9DG petrol / LPG; white Autosleeper high-top; Looking rusty again!

lloyd

Post by lloyd »

We only use Calor LPG / propane. I've had several vans over the year and have always used propane. I see no reason to use anything else because we use our camper year around and Camping Gaz is more then twice the money and in such small bottles it wouldn't last long winter camping. Yes, Calor bottle takes up more space, but we enough room for everything and plenty we don't need even with big bottle.

Well, we did use camping gas in France... used 2 bottles in 3 weeks. Here we use 3 Calor bottles in a year.

MOBS

Nicola&Tony

Post by Nicola&Tony »

lloyd wrote: . . . and in such small bottles it wouldn't last long winter camping.

Well, we did use camping gas in France... used 2 bottles in 3 weeks.

Was that the little, stubby 904 cylinders, or the bigger 907 you were using in France?

I agree about winter camping consumption, especially when it's very cold. Just out of interest lloyd, what size Calor bottle do you have and how much does it cost for a "refill"? I'm wondering about the possibility of switching over until we can afford an underfloor tank.

Tony

lloyd

Post by lloyd »

Used 907 Camping Gaz in France.
6 kg bottle (£16.50) fitted under sink in Westy Mozaic Joker galley. Height just fits under the drawer. In fact it's so close I have to remove drawer to change bottles. :wink: We got a week of winter camping parked up on a bottle. Those being last year's Dubfreeze (3 days -0 all weekend-9 one night), weekend in Cornwall (2 days March/April cold and rain), and April Fox & Goose (2 days cold and snow). Bottle in now has 14 days of summer/fall camping on it. Don't know how much is left. We cook 2 full meals a day and Nicky heats water for coffee at least 12 times, heater is on if it's below 16 out. Fridge is on all the time.. usually forget to change over before driving, :oops: and start it a day before we leave. 6kg is approx 10.5 litre and costs £16.50, so is approx 3 times as expensive in bottle as frame mounted tank at .55p/l. Camping Gas 907 is approx 5.3 litre and costs £12.99 so about 4.5 times as expensive.

Underfloor tanks are nice, but it takes a long time to pay for their cost.

MOBS

ringo
80-90 Mem No: 1375

Post by ringo »

I can only fit 907's in the gas cupboard - so i've got a pipe that is long enough to go out the vent at the bottom of the cupboard onto a calor gas bottle when im parked up for a long time :)

Camping gaz is very expensive your right - but i dont use much if the fridge isnt on. Useally get through two bottles a year. So, theres no point getting an underfloor tank as it will take years to pay for itself.

It would be nice to have the fridge on all the time though...

Ringo
Now driving a big bad VW LT Florida.

Nicola&Tony

Post by Nicola&Tony »

Nicola&Tony wrote: I'm wondering about the possibility of switching over until we can afford an underfloor tank.

Have taken the plunge with this today, to make life easier for winter camping. It's Flogas rather than Calor and we got a 3.9kg propane bottle; £20 bottle deposit, £11.75 for the gas and had to buy the regulator as well. Now that we've got a bottle I know a place that only charges £9.95 for the gas. We've been paying £13.95 each time we needed another Camping Gaz 907 cylinder (and we get though a few of those each year), so it'll save us a few quid.

Nearly finished altering the cupboards to accommodate the taller bottle. :D

Tony