Anyone wired up a PC in their van?

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

powelly
80-90 Mem No: 4653

Post by powelly »

Dan Wood wrote:Don't you just need an EEE PC and some velcro?

As far as laptops go, they're cheap as chips!

I got one for Christmas and its brilliant!
-----
1981 Aircooled T25 Hightop
Rate my Dub

ringo
80-90 Mem No: 1375

Post by ringo »

powelly wrote:

Can you please explain why? I cant see whats so good about them. They arent that cheap.

Must have its good point cause people are raving about them - but what are they?

Ringo
Now driving a big bad VW LT Florida.

Irish Pete
80-90 Mem No: 3866

Post by Irish Pete »

I've done this

I use a Mac laptop with a touch screen and then a TV in the back. I'll have a go at getting some pictures up when she comes back from the garage on Thursday if anyone's interested?

Pete

powelly

Post by powelly »

ringo wrote:
powelly wrote:

Can you please explain why? I cant see whats so good about them. They arent that cheap.

Must have its good point cause people are raving about them - but what are they?

Ringo

OK.

To me the point of the eee is portability, I have a desktop for pure processing power with multiple monitors for screen real estate, I also have a 15 laptop that I used to carry when I needed it.

Now the eee is small, I mean really small, its the site of a hard back book and weighs less than a bag of sugar, so its small enough to drop in to whatever back I have with me and forget about it.

Your saying its not that cheap but I'm assuming at £200 your comparing it to cheap traditional laptops, but this isnt a fair comparison, you need to put it side by side with a UMPC (ultra mobile pc)like one of these There you will see the closest equivalent is a £400 obsolete model of the OQO.

Out of the box this thing just works, the flavour or linux installed will do everything you need for internet, office etc, However if your more used to windows all is not lost. a little tinkering around and you will soon have windows XP running, (i have xp, office 2007 and dreamweaver on mine).

Spec wise it does seem quite low, but the solid state hard disk makes all the difference, this is much faster that any standard hard drive and really does make up for the slow processor and small ram (this can be upgraded).

So for £200 you get a full working totally portable pc that will fit in your glove box or even a large coat pocket. What more could you want?

Oh and there is a nice hack to get the screen up to 1024 by 768!
-----
Rate my Dub

lloyd
80-90 Mem No: 3244

Post by lloyd »

Bigger screen, bigger SSD (software on my notebook is 3GB), keyboard that normal size hands fit, longer battery life, etc. What is CPU speed anyway? Can't find it in specs.

Not saying it's not a great little piece and is exactly what some people need, but trying to compare it to a real notebook is bogus. Our Toshiba U205: 12 screen (3x bigger), core 2 duo 1.66GHzz (3.7x faster), 1GB mem (2x more), 120GB HDD (40x more), DVD/CD burner (none on EEE PC), 5 hours on battery, 300 x 225 x 34 (2x bigger) in size and weights 2.86kg (2x heavier) purchased last spring for £450 (2x more)... I'll use it instead of your Eee PC for now.

I do think the Eee PC has lots of potential with bigger screen (one that is case size) and bigger SSD.
88 1.9 gassed w/Westy conversion & Reimo topper

MOBS

ringo

Post by ringo »

powelly wrote: OK.

To me the point of the eee is portability, I have a desktop for pure processing power with multiple monitors for screen real estate, I also have a 15 laptop that I used to carry when I needed it.

Now the eee is small, I mean really small, its the site of a hard back book and weighs less than a bag of sugar, so its small enough to drop in to whatever back I have with me and forget about it.

Your saying its not that cheap but I'm assuming at £200 your comparing it to cheap traditional laptops, but this isnt a fair comparison, you need to put it side by side with a UMPC (ultra mobile pc)like one of these There you will see the closest equivalent is a £400 obsolete model of the OQO.

Out of the box this thing just works, the flavour or linux installed will do everything you need for internet, office etc, However if your more used to windows all is not lost. a little tinkering around and you will soon have windows XP running, (i have xp, office 2007 and dreamweaver on mine).

Spec wise it does seem quite low, but the solid state hard disk makes all the difference, this is much faster that any standard hard drive and really does make up for the slow processor and small ram (this can be upgraded).

So for £200 you get a full working totally portable pc that will fit in your glove box or even a large coat pocket. What more could you want?

Oh and there is a nice hack to get the screen up to 1024 by 768!

Very interesting - thanks for that.

So if you install windows XP on it, does it use most of the memory?

Do you think you could put car related apps on - like Satnav and a reversing camera?. With only two usb slots i suppose thats all it could do (no other usb to access an external hard drive for music and divx etc.).

If these things can be done, then its looking like a fairly cheap in car pc. To be fair, you cant stick a laptop on your dash (well, you could but its mahoosive) just for a reversing camera and sat nav.

Does it come with a remote control ?

Thanks

Ringo

ringo

Post by ringo »

One other thing that is confusing me about CarPuters...

They all seem to be fairly low spec CPU's. However, they all seem to run windows multimedia centre and maybe a front end touchscreen driver like road runner. Do they work that well?

Im also concerned about which video card to use for a touchscreen. Does it need to be anything fancy or will a simple onboard graphics card do ?

I would love to convert my aging PIII 9Ghz into a CarPC - the power supply seems reasonable at £50. I imagine the main expense will be to buy the touchscreen?

Cheers

Ringo

powelly

Post by powelly »

ringo wrote:Very interesting - thanks for that.

So if you install windows XP on it, does it use most of the memory?

with a trimmed down xp office and dreamweaver I have 1.5gb free.
ringo wrote:
Do you think you could put car related apps on - like Satnav

and a reversing camera?. With only two usb slots i suppose thats all it could do (no other usb to access an external hard drive for music and divx etc.).

Yes without a doubt, it has a web cam so reversing camera isnt a problem, and as for the gps, im playing with that idea at the moment, it works with my bluetooth gps receiver so I just need to find a good software package.

ringo wrote:
Does it come with a remote control ?

Thanks

Ringo

no but I have seen bluetooth applications to use a mobile phone as a remote. have a look at http://www.eeeuser.com/ there are loads of interesting mods.

lloyd is right, an eee pc inst to be compared with a laptop, however I haven't used my laptop outside of the house since I got the eee.
-----
Rate my Dub

powelly

Post by powelly »

lloyd wrote:Bigger screen, bigger SSD (software on my notebook is 3GB), keyboard that normal size hands fit, longer battery life, etc. What is CPU speed anyway? Can't find it in specs.

Size isnt everything you know!

[img:482:344]http://www.motorhomehire.co.nz/images/4 ... uxe_sm.jpg[/img]

Sometimes bigger doesnt always mean better
-----
Rate my Dub

sheffieldcoljules
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by sheffieldcoljules »

Well i MUST get my pc fitted within 2 months when i go on my euro shagfest so if anyone is around the Sheffield area...wants to meet up one day at my pad, we can go through all the things trial and error etc.. i have wifi here, so you can test that and got millions of cables etc etc and spares.

More info on the touch screen would be good.

Im useless at woodwork and fitting things, but im not bad with a electronics (although on a camper its new to me)
O my god...i lost a o.....im not cool anymore KlEINER FEIGLING..

lloyd

Post by lloyd »

Powelly, I understand how nice the Eee PC is for simple tasks... like GPS, rear camera, etc. How fast does XP load?

MOBS

powelly

Post by powelly »

lloyd wrote:Powelly, I understand how nice the Eee PC is for simple tasks... like GPS, rear camera, etc. How fast does XP load?

cold boot 25 seconds, wake from standby 4 seconds.

My desktop cant manage that.
-----
Rate my Dub

lloyd

Post by lloyd »

That's fast enough. Wifi, backup camera, GPS and external HDD with mp3's would be perfect.

MOBS

Other-Power
80-90 Mem No: 3353

Post by Other-Power »

Only problem i can see from it happerning to me is, when a laptop or pc is powered via an inverter then a gps device thats plugged in via usb etc will not work due to the inverter.

Just a heads up

Jon
Its big, Its Blue, Its mine!

lloyd

Post by lloyd »

Other-Power wrote:Only problem i can see from it happerning to me is, when a laptop or pc is powered via an inverter then a gps device thats plugged in via usb etc will not work due to the inverter.

Just a heads up

Jon
Does this apply if using a 12v supply to laptop?

MOBS