Tip for refitting Reiss/MBK style fridge vents with pics

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

fairwynds
80-90 Mem No: 3288

Tip for refitting Reiss/MBK style fridge vents with pics

Post by fairwynds »

Having removed this style of vent (x2) from my camper due to repainting, I will be refitting them tomorrow. Last time I did this I refitted them using some silicone sealant. This seemed to do the trick but is messy and needs cleaning off both van panel and vent if they are ever removed. I was thinking about making some form of gasket and came up with he following idea. Only time will tell how well this works, but all seems well at the moment:

My type of vent:

..and another view, also showing the 'fly screen' that needs to be fitted between vent and panel:

Bought this of the bay of fleas (from an idea on here about refitting door seals :wink: ):

Taped all around the inside edges of each vent:

Holes marked where the screws will go (not necessary but helped to relocate the fly screen correctly):

Fly screen in place:

Followed by a second layer of tape all around edges:

Close up shows double thickness, and I intend to leave the 'cover strip' on the tape when initially refitting the vents (whilst paint is fully hardening) which solves the problem of having to cover the holes from the weather at the moment:

Seems to be a quick, clean and easy way of doing it but nonetheless I'll be keeping a close eye on the vents etc to ensure it's fully leakproof.
Must now get some of those vent covers too :ok
1.9 DG Bilbos 'Arragon' Hitop LPG'd by Gasure
1.9 TDi Golf Mk4 Estate
Member no 3288