Propex heaters - inside or outside?

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

busbuddy
80-90 Mem No: 3043

Re: Propex heaters - inside or outside?

Post by busbuddy »

when i had my bay i mounted mine in the passenger footwell with a stainless cover

plumbed it straight into the vans heater tube in centre of dash so could be used to demist or heat van through the bottom outlet, van had all original heating stuff removed including front panel vent
the vans are small enough that a decent heater will heat them to tropical temps in a very short time no matter where you mount it and the girlfriend could rest her feet on it whilst travelling coz she was short :wink:
'88 1.9tdi karmann cheetah

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Re: Propex heaters - inside or outside?

Post by ghost123uk »

shepster wrote:I'm considering moving mine outside for a couple of reasons, where it is at the moment the outlet is directly behind the vent so is quite noisy and also to free up a bit of space in that cupboard. I was thinking of making a weatherproof box out of aluminium sheet and mounting it under the van where Boxy has his, Is there much heat loss having it underneath?

I am considering doing this for the same reasons as you :) Mostly less noise, I would mount it on some of those rubber "cotton bobbins" that BMC Mini exhaust systems use to cut down on transmitted vibration. I might not make a box though, just paint the unit in an "appropriate" paint (Hammerite perhaps?)

I would also fit a duct to the inlet though (@BOXY ;) ) so that I was re-circulating warm air from inside the van. I suspect that drawing icy air in on a cold winters night must make a significant difference.

Cutting the holes for the burner exhaust and inlet was fun enough, doing it for the fresh air ducting would be even more fun :?
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here