Ply floor sourcing and sizing (1 piece or 2?)

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

MattBW
80-90 Mem No: 11790

Ply floor sourcing and sizing (1 piece or 2?)

Post by MattBW »

So after insulating the floor I will need to install a ply floor. I intend to use exterior ply rather than marine ply as from what I have read marine ply is way over engineered for use in a van and exterior is more than enough.

However I believe the floor area is 1550mm x 1550mm (correct me if Im wrong) but all the ply I can find is 1250mm on the shortest side.

Do you use several pieces? Or anyone know where I can get a bigger piece?
Can they be fixed together to stop movement etc if two pieces are used?
Last edited by MattBW on 30 Jan 2014, 12:50, edited 1 time in total.
1985 1.9TD AAZ -Starlight Interior
2015 California Beach

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Re: Ply floor sourcing and sizing (1 piece or 2?)

Post by CJH »

That's a coincidence - I've just this moment emailed my order to a local timber supplier. I've ordered a couple of pieces, based on a 1220mm board width:
1) One piece 1570mm x 1220mm, to do the area in front of the rock and roll bed base, and
2) One piece 1545mm x 340mm, to do the bit under the rock and roll bed.

The corners of these pieces will need fettling to suit the van shape. Your bed size might influence what you buy I guess - in my case the front edge of the seat frame will sit right on the edge of the larger piece I think. If the board is a little wider than 1220 you could take that join further underneath the bed.

I went for 18mm Phenolic ply (see here - I'm told it has a WBP core) - I traded the extra weight (compared to the old 14mm chipboard) against the ability to hold the screws for the table base. The Phenolic surface will resist water, and I've been advised that I should seal any cut edges with PVA to resist moisture and mould if they're likely to get damp (e.g. the table leg hole goes right through the metal floor, and the various gas drop and water pipe holes will also be exposed to the elements underneath).
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

MattBW

Post by MattBW »

Thanks, perfect timing it seems. :)

Someone told me to go for 9mm, do you think that is way to thin?
2015 California Beach

Woodyyellow
80-90 Mem No: 11769

Post by Woodyyellow »

When I renewed my floor I used 18mm exterior grade ply in a standard 8'x4 size, 2440 x 1220. I laid it with the 4' width from the front to back and made a join that was then positioned under the rear seat. By glueing and screwing a thin under sheet along the join I managed to get a very firm joint. Covered with a sheet of 'penny vinyl' a water/dust resistant floor was formed.

Once the cupboards and floor edging trim replaced it looks good, (well I think so!)
:D
1987 1.9 WBX DG Hi-Top. Soon to be Subaru ej20

I'm an old guy but I still learn new stuff!

CJH

Post by CJH »

MattBW wrote:Thanks, perfect timing it seems. :)

Someone told me to go for 9mm, do you think that is way to thin?

Are you planning to screw one of those circular table leg supports into a hole in the floor? There can be quite a force trying to lift those screws out when the table gets knocked from the side, so I'd think 9mm might be a bit thin for that. If you're not doing that though, the spans between the corrugations in the steel floor are only small, so I'd think 9mm would be fine.

Woodyyellow wrote:When I renewed my floor I used 18mm exterior grade ply in a standard 8'x4 size, 2440 x 1220. I laid it with the 4' width from the front to back and made a join that was then positioned under the rear seat. By glueing and screwing a thin under sheet along the join I managed to get a very firm joint. Covered with a sheet of 'penny vinyl' a water/dust resistant floor was formed.

Once the cupboards and floor edging trim replaced it looks good, (well I think so!)
:D

Very smart!

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

It doesn't sound like it would be quite large enough, but it's worth knowing that you can get WBP Plywood in 3050 x 1525 - Travis Perkins for example list it as stock item here and they have plenty of branches around the country.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

CJH

Post by CJH »

clift_d wrote:It doesn't sound like it would be quite large enough, but it's worth knowing that you can get WBP Plywood in 3050 x 1525 - Travis Perkins for example list it as stock item here and they have plenty of branches around the country.

That would probably do fine for a typical camper layout, since the inch-or-so gaps would be hidden under the bed and under the kitchen units. So one sheet of that would do two vans.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Got loads of 9mm ply board here free to a good camper.
I can bring it to a show
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

CJH

Post by CJH »

I learned a few things while stripping out the old floor and fitting my new floor this weekend.

1) The table socket in the floor of my van was, at one time, fixed in place with self-tapping screws that went right through the wood and through the floorpan as well. This makes much more sense than trying to secure it in the wooden floor alone. I'm going to source some stainless countersunk bolts with stainless nyloc nuts instead of the self-tappers though. So in hindsight I think 9mm ply would have been ample.

2) A single piece of ply big enough for the whole floor would be a right pain to manhandle in and out of the van. And trust me, you're going to be doing that several times.

3) It's quite feasible to re-use the old screw holes in the floorpan for the new floor. Just drill through from the underside. That has the added benefit that you're not going to go through your fuel tank, gas tank, fuel lines, brake lines etc!

4) Phenolic ply is interesting stuff. It has a textured side and a smooth side, but both sides are waterproof, and either side will make a good floor inside a cupboard or the rock and roll bed. I laid mine with the textured side up, in the hope that a carpet or rug will be less inclined to slide about.

MattBW

Post by MattBW »

Thanks for sharing the info CJH, much appreciated.

kevtherev wrote:Got loads of 9mm ply board here free to a good camper.
I can bring it to a show

That would be very kind Kev, few beers your way be good? ;)
2015 California Beach