gas fitting

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

fazzer
80-90 Mem No: 7803

gas fitting

Post by fazzer »

I want to remove the 8mm copper gas pipe that runs my fridge and hob as its not in great condition,what I,d like to know is can I replace the copper pipe with orange rubber gas pipe.

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Re: gas fitting

Post by R0B »

You can use the orange pipe.But it needs replacing every 5 years.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

Jeff J
80-90 Mem No: 13853

Post by Jeff J »

According to the research I did about gas installations in a camper or caravan, appliances must use copper pipe to supply them. Sorry I can't quote/remember the source but I'm sure if you use google you will find a definitive answer.

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

Only meant to be the orange pipe between the bottle and copper pipe, so just a connecting piece as such. Main carcass should be copper With compression joints. That's the legal standpoint anyway....
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

fazzer
80-90 Mem No: 7803

Post by fazzer »

It does have the orange pipe from gas bottle and copper pipe for the rest.thanks for help will stick with copper pipe. :ok :ok

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

I have used some Orange pipe on the connection from the "3 way adapter" to the Fridge. Reason = Before, if I needed to remove the fridge, it was a right faff getting a spanner on the copper pipe's union. Plus it was a worry trying to tighten it up, plus a worry that movement / vibration on the solid connector might not be good. Three foot (max) of orange pipe now fitted with proper "push ons". I am happier with this and feel it is safer, will check pipe at MOT times (like I do with oil change etc). Hope it's not actually "illegal" :roll:
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

It's not correct, what makes you think the orange pipe is safer?
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

ghost123uk wrote:Plus it was a worry trying to tighten it up, plus a worry that movement / vibration on the solid connector might not be good.

Very restricted space under the fridge to get a spanner in to "do up" the pipe nut satisfactorily tight, as in difficult to "gauge" how tight I was getting it.

Mind you, as much for convenience as mentioned :wink:
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

Walrus
80-90 Mem No: 5972

Post by Walrus »

I've been thinking of doing something similar - I have copper pipes ATM but routing them round the van means several (compression) joints - each joint could be a point of failure? Surely one length of orange pipe from bottle to appliance, with an appropriate connector at each end, is less likely to fail (even if it does need replacing every 5 years)?
1991 2.1 LPG Syncro (aka Beaker) ...and... 1998 1.9TD T4 (aka Daisy)