my first westy

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Fumar
80-90 Mem No: 10667

Re: my first westy

Post by Fumar »

California Dreamin wrote:Don't despair! I remember getting that 'sinking feeling' several days after I bought my California.....Ebber didn't work, fridge didn't work, the sink tap didn't work, petrol pored out from underneath when I filled the tank...the list went on! However, ask yourself the question...is the bus basically sound and if the answer is yes then it's just a case of steadily wading through the list. Think of it this way.....at just over three grand for a Westy there was always going to be a few things to put right and as long as none of those things are major you should be rejoicing in your bargain purchase.

Martin

My friend said exactly the same thing.. its all mendable and the bodywork, engine etc is really good (compared to my last one anyway) doesn't even drip oil .. sounds very tight.. few spots and seam rash but nothing really bad..

Im just a bit disappointed I cant just jump in it and shoot off.. will get it all sorted
I like them tall and rough.. flat fours sound the best even if its got less power than a flymo!!

Fumar

Post by Fumar »

The Bus Type on Vin is 253-609

Spent the day striping the dash out to replace blower that had seized need to tackle the stiff gear change next and the leaky roof.. Loving it..

I like them tall and rough.. flat fours sound the best even if its got less power than a flymo!!

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

does look like it started out as a westy. maybe had a poptop removed for the aftermarket hightop. you'd probably be able to convert back if you so wished.. Take a picture of the over head cupboard so we can see how it fits against the ceiling. ceiling should be flat, not curved.
if you look under the dash, below the steering wheel there should be a white sticker stuck to the metal work. This will list all the options and should inc a code for it being a westy
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

Fumar

Post by Fumar »

The Vin plate..?? is it a real one

The cupboards in the roof are aligned perfectly with the roof and all have westfalia decals and match rest of interior..

I will get some photos up but its on a friends drive at the moment and I don't have the keys as we are still trying to fix the blower, wipers, gear linkage etc etc

I don't think the roof is original but it does what I need, and I will hopefully give it a pop top one day but that's way down the list of things to do