anyone recognise the make of this trailer tent please

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Woodyyellow
80-90 Mem No: 11769

Re: anyone recognise the make of this trailer tent please

Post by Woodyyellow »

Hiya.
I can honestly say that over the period of eight years, we had a total of three different models of Conway trailer tents, each one bigger and better than the last. We travelled though France during the long school summer holidays and never once did they let us down in any way. I still have our last one, unused now for 20 years or so, but still ready to go, just requiring a check over. They are to me anyway a first class product.
Cheers
John
:ok
1987 1.9 WBX DG Hi-Top. Soon to be Subaru ej20

I'm an old guy but I still learn new stuff!

meggles

Post by meggles »

Thanks for that John. Can't wait to get the thing onto a campsite and pitched alongside my T25. :ok It could need some proofing of the canvas but I haven't opened it up yet so I really don't know. Got it at York's popular price so no probs :wink:

meggles

Post by meggles »

Managed to get the canvas on it today. Not pegged out correctly obviously - it started to rain, now theres a surprise! It completely detaches from the trailer so not as easy as I thought it might be to erect. The awning is even more of a nightmare. It's also got inner tents with it and millions of pegs (well... a lot anyway). Still not 100% certain which model it is :roll: Image

There's a couple of small repairs needed but only minor. Just got to decide whether it's a keeper or not :roll: If it was as easy to erect as a Dandy (or I was a lot fitter!) it would definitely be staying with me.

Woodyyellow
80-90 Mem No: 11769

Post by Woodyyellow »

You will probably find that there are ribbon ties inside where the fabric touches the poles. This means that the canvas can remain tied to the poles in storage or towing ready for erection at a campsite. The inner tents have the mattress inside them and again left on the bed boards when not used. There is just a chance I might be able to find the instructions for mine (if my wife has not thrown them away!) I will see what I can do. The two curved zips give acces to the under bed area and you used to be able to get an extra inner tent to hang there for additional sleeping spaces giving 6 berths in all.
Yours does look to be in quite good condition.
Cheers John
:D
1987 1.9 WBX DG Hi-Top. Soon to be Subaru ej20

I'm an old guy but I still learn new stuff!

meggles

Post by meggles »

Thanks John. Yes there are ties - never thought of leaving canvas attached so thanks for that. There are two inner tents and the mattresses are there and all is in good nick as well. There's a couple of small tears here and there but easy to repair. Yes, if you can find the instructions thing great. The awning was a nightmare but I realised I was expecting it to a bigger awning than it actually is. I'll have another go tomorrow if it doesn't rain. All in all it looks OK. With a bit of work I reckon it could be good! (fingers crossed). The cover is in a bit of a state and is letting damp/wet through so I'll be replacing that soonest.

mm289
80-90 Mem No: 9111

Post by mm289 »

Think you might find its a Conway Clipper. The was the smallest of the Conways and a basic one had no "built in" kitchen, and the rear "door" hinges down on slide on hinges so you can remove it although the number plate and light was on this so it couldn't go too far.

The "DL" was the higher spec one with the kitchen unit that clipped on the back and had the lights on this unit. May well be yours is a basic and someone has added a kitchen setup.

The Clipper could be a self contained 4 berth i.e. the canvas ended at the door which was really useful if you just wanted to throw it up for the night. You could then add on the "awning" which doubled it in size.

The green canvas I think is the middle one age wise, they started brown, then went green, then blue but I could have the blue and green round the wrong way.

Google some images of Conway Clipper and see if it looks similar, had one for years, when the canvas went i stripped out all the interior and it is now a very useful rubbish trailer :)

Cheers,

MM
'89 Autosleeper Trident
2.1 DJ
Member 9111

meggles

Post by meggles »

Thanks MM. I'll check it out. :ok

E D I T: Looking like it is, as you say mm, a Clipper. Maybe a less popular one though due to the lack of a kitchen. Couldn't find a pic of one with the fold down rear flap/door. Just need to fathom out the awning poles now and then mark the damn things :roll: