Westfalia benefits

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Re: Westfalia benefits

Post by Plasticman »

i think the above advice is as good as it will get, indeed you really should get to a meet/show as its the fastest way to consider the differing intyeriors etc and what will suit YOU best, yes there is a reluctance to mess with an original westy but i have only kn own 3 that i have been involved in and one was the syncroxrissvagon, and great pain was inflicted to use original bits but that was the exception really
mm

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

keith wrote:Quite right Mark....as newbees you should know that its virtually impossible to toast bread in a westy......unless you spend two quidd on a folding mesh toaster.
Oh come on even you must know those things are utter shyte :lol: Doing it one slow slice at a time holding it next to the hob trying not to burn it, and it turns out like scalded bread not toast. You can't melt grated cheddar chess over toasted crumpets either, or keep food warm, or reheat chinkie takeaways.

But I certainly wouldn't base a camper purchase decision on the presence or lack of a grill and frankly if I did buy a westy I'd just bung a grill in it; where exactly I'd bung it is a mystery but I'd shoehorn it in somewhere.
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

billybigspud
80-90 Mem No: 9454

Post by billybigspud »

Cheese on crumpets? I am gonna have a bash at that one.

The Bobdogs
80-90 Mem No: 6101

Post by The Bobdogs »

Anyway.....proper Westy owners don't have toast for breakfast.....we have beer.......and cornflakes.....sometimes in the same glass.....
'The Bobdogs'
Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.

07793 126323

ColG
80-90 Mem No: 12090

Post by ColG »

The Bobdogs wrote:Anyway.....proper Westy owners don't have toast for breakfast.....we have beer.......and cornflakes.....sometimes in the same glass.....

:ok
1984 Westfalia Vanagon Camper Wolfsburg Special Edition

keith
80-90 Mem No: 5169

Post by keith »

1664 wrote:
keith wrote:Quite right Mark....as newbees you should know that its virtually impossible to toast bread in a westy......unless you spend two quidd on a folding mesh toaster.
Oh come on even you must know those things are utter shyte :lol: Doing it one slow slice at a time holding it next to the hob trying not to burn it, and it turns out like scalded bread not toast. You can't melt grated cheddar chess over toasted crumpets either, or keep food warm, or reheat chinkie takeaways.

But I certainly wouldn't base a camper purchase decision on the presence or lack of a grill and frankly if I did buy a westy I'd just bung a grill in it; where exactly I'd bung it is a mystery but I'd shoehorn it in somewhere.

Even me eh.......none taken :wink:

Mine works great....it even has a handle :pimp that you can hold so you don't burn your little pinkies.
Maybe you struggled with the instructions.......when the toast starts to smoke....its done and you need to use that handle thing again.
:pimp

Image.......just look at the lovely even brown colouration..... :ok

We use the little cadac for 99 percent of our culinary creations....

You can roast a chicken in it, cook a curry or stir fry, steam open mussels or BBQ a mackerel........bacon,eggs,sausage and Staffordshire oatcakes .....taste just great cooked in the open air of a morning.

At a push I bet you could warm up last weeks chicken fried rice :rofl
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes

The Bobdogs
80-90 Mem No: 6101

Post by The Bobdogs »

Keith....this is how you do toast in a Westie....
:ok
'The Bobdogs'
Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.

07793 126323

keith

Post by keith »

nice....good brown ness there :ok

come on....lets see your toast pics.
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes

Post by 1664 »

billybigspud wrote:Cheese on crumpets? I am gonna have a bash at that one.
for the ultimate taste bud experience, spread a thin layer of marmite over the melted cheese :ok

suppose you're going to gag now :lol:

Post by 1664 »

keith wrote:Mine works great....it even has a handle :pimp that you can hold so you don't burn your little pinkies.
Yes well when I said "hold" I thought a handle of some sort was implied :lol:

keith wrote:Image.......just look at the lovely even brown colouration..... :ok

:shock: Good Lord, that's not toast - needs another ten minutes at least before that's done! And it's not exactly 'even', you need a half way cooked turn through 180 degree rotation plan. And it's still one slow slice at a time :wink:

keith wrote:Image

We use the little cadac for 99 percent of our culinary creations....

You can roast a chicken in it, cook a curry or stir fry, steam open mussels or BBQ a mackerel........bacon,eggs,sausage and Staffordshire oatcakes .....taste just great cooked in the open air of a morning.

At a push I bet you could warm up last weeks chicken fried rice :rofl
Not exactly inside the van though is it? What if there are gay's about and it's pi$$ing down outside? :lol: http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=126941" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I use a pressure cooker myself, but using the grill for some things means less washing up :ok
I re-heat the takeaways while still in the foil containers by the way - one fork to wash. Not sure I'd wait a week before doing it mind :run

keith

Post by keith »

pull out omnistore .....means you can cook outside in the rain......and not get wet

much better than making your van all steamy, cheesy, beefy.

in fact if it is pissing it down....with 3 people in a van...including small children....the last thing I would want to do is to have pots, pans, grills :wink: on.

like I said....99% done on the cadac

using the std BBQ point gas tak-eoff of course .....

even you should see the logic in that Bren. :wink:
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes

keith

Post by keith »

...and just to add....im happy camping it up with the gays....I know which side my toast is buttered on. :)
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes

Plymman
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Plymman »

Toast won't be a deal breaker for me! What I'm seeing in westies are double swivel front seats and adjustable rear bench, do any other builds have these as standard? It just seems to make it more versatile.

keith

Post by keith »

think double glazing and underslung gas and water tanks and eberspacher night heaters too.....mostly useful things that cost a lot to add.
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

1664 wrote:
billybigspud wrote:Cheese on crumpets? I am gonna have a bash at that one.
for the ultimate taste bud experience, spread a thin layer of marmite over the melted cheese :ok

suppose you're going to gag now :lol:

You forgot the peanut butter. So butter, then marmite then peanut butter, then the cheese melted on the top - the ultimate sandwich experience! Go on Bren you know you want to!
:mrgreen: