Need another cupboard, matching existing "conti board" issue

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Need another cupboard, matching existing "conti board" issue

Post by ghost123uk »

Hi all,

Well the Tintop is home and the interior is all back in, new wiring, plumbing and carpets etc :)

However, I have slightly changed a part of the "furniture" to allow the fitting of my re-fillable gas bottle. This now means I need a couple of bits of that vinyl covered chipboard to make up a cupboard next to the gas bottle (for "neatness" and extra storage).

Problem = my "furniture" (home brew by P.O.) is an almost white wood effect (Ash ? I don't know) and I have not yet managed to find any the same. It will look daft if I have to use summat not the same :evil:

Anyone got any suggestions ?

I did wonder about painting all of it grey, but it's a wood effect texture so that might not look right :?

Perhaps I should post a pic of what is there now...
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

OLD ONE
80-90 Mem No: 1737

Re: Need another cupboard, matching existing "conti board" issue

Post by OLD ONE »

John...How about finding a wood veneer that matches. Plenty on the old flea bay. Or with a good pic I may find a match in my collection.
Health has now stopped me camping Etc.

OLD ONE
80-90 Mem No: 1737

Post by OLD ONE »

John...How about finding a wood veneer that matches. Plenty on the old flea bay. Or with a good pic I may find a match in my collection.
Health has now stopped me camping Etc.

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

Aye, I had wondered about veneering the whole lot, as the existing "White Ash" finish is a bit naff (imho). I wonder how much of a faff it is re not getting bubbles or creases in it ?

I spent most of yesterday afternoon trawling B&Q type places but did not find any real inspiration. I did however find out that you can get special paint that is suitable for this Contiboard (vinyl?) finish. The guy in B&Q (they always seem helpful in B&Q) said to use "Melamine paint" ? So I thought, maybe make my new cupboard in "any" Contiboard and then paint all of the "furniture" grey (with a darker grey trim).

Can anyone see any problems with that idea ? (or better go with OLD ONE's idea ?)
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

RobH
80-90 Mem No: 8671

Post by RobH »

Have you tried any of the camper conversion companies? I know when I got my interior made http://www.thecampershak.co.uk could get loads of finishes, perhaps they would be willing to get you some board in.

Found some woods, they had others as well.
http://www.thecampershak.co.uk/swatchstyles.php
'89 Home brew camper, 1.9 petrol twin-slider tin-top

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

Thanks for the input Rob :) - Trouble is twofold, firstly the existing "wood effect" (white ash) looks a bit naff and is tired anyway, and secondly I don't think I will find a "proper" match.

Leaning towards painting it. Or maybe covering it all with those thin wood effect tiles that folks use on the floor of their campers (as per me ;)) but not sure how easy and how it would look :roll:

Also looking at doing it as cheaply as is reasonable ;)

On a constant mission to head-butt the horizon :roll: