ok SO i GOT MYSELF A PROPEX HEATER

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

browneyes1311
80-90 Mem No: 2714

ok SO i GOT MYSELF A PROPEX HEATER

Post by browneyes1311 »

Ive aske around about how to fit it and Im getting al sorts of responses. Ive loked at the wiki and Im a lil scared.

'It wil need an electrician and a corgi gas fitter about a days labour'

Wel I know Im female and at present mechanicaly unsound, although I am happy to get my hands dirty under tutelage, but are they having a giraffe,

Ive got a gas/lec fridge which I stil cant get to work but that means i have the vents. Is it really this complicated surely I just put the unit under the rock n roll bed in the cupboard drill a hole through for the gas pipe to go in cupboard where my other gas cylinder is and exhaust pipe up to the vent? Ok I may not be capable or rather have the confidence to do it on my own but its not going to be a days labour for a corgi fitte surely? Thats going to cost as much as the propex was. It did come with leveling kit.

Can I do this myself or am i being dumb or can anyone recomend someone in Devon/cornwal who can fit it for me without me having to get second mortgage.
1983 air cooled T25 high top.(hopefully someone will tell me what conversion) name Myrtle de turtle

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Re: ok SO i GOT MYSELF A PROPEX HEATER

Post by jamesc76 »

Nothing stopping you fitting it your self, its down to how confident you are with your work. All fitting instructions are on here http://www.propexheatsource.co.uk/support. I would use a proper leak detector spray to check all joints on your gas and use copper pipe for all but the connection to the gas bottle I have fitted a few there not overly hard to do!
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB

Dave307
80-90 Mem No: 10742

Post by Dave307 »

We're in Devon Cornwall are you. I have a great auto electrician who is very reasonable and does a wicked job....... gas not so sure about. I'm no genius but I'll give you a hand if I can.....
Dave.

1986 watercooled 1.9DG

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

I did mine only yesterday (after taking the Propex out of the Hi-Top and fitting it in the Tin-Top). The hardest bit is drilling the 2 x 2" holes through the floor of the van for the burner air inlet and burner exhaust. In the end I managed to find a mate with a metal "tank hole cutter" that did the job. I made a cardboard template to make sure the holes were in the right place (imagine drilling through the floor and finding they are in the wrong place !!). To secure the pipe work, I used those flatpack furniture plastic joiner thingies, screwed to the ply and then drilled out the remaining hole a bit so a decent strong tiewrap went through and around the pipe (cause I didn't have any proper gas pipe "P" clips).
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

Louey
80-90 Mem No: 1108

Post by Louey »

ghost123uk wrote:(cause I didn't have any proper gas pipe "P" clips).

I find they are getting harder to get hold of for smaller pipes
Louey

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░ 'The only Tranny in the village' ▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

Louey wrote:
ghost123uk wrote:(cause I didn't have any proper gas pipe "P" clips).

I find they are getting harder to get hold of for smaller pipes
Electrical wholesalers :wink:
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!