Do you actually use your tap?

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Do use actually use your tap?

Total votes: 0

MattBW
80-90 Mem No: 11790

Do you actually use your tap?

Post by MattBW »

So now the vans almost ready for an interior to go back in, I was pondering the sink and tap. It occurred to me that I simply don't use the tap. It worked before, but I tend to use bottles of water and the kettle. The whole uncertainly of the tank being clean and heavy when full means I use 5l bottles.

I am pondering just not putting a 12v tap back in and leaving it as a sink with drainer only. I could always add one later.

Thoughts? Do you use yours?
1985 1.9TD AAZ -Starlight Interior
2015 California Beach

tforturton
80-90 Mem No: 11177

Re: Do you actually use your tap?

Post by tforturton »

For months, I've been pondering the building of a removable kitchen unit. I even bought a hob/grill/sink unit to fit into it. But recently, I've been thinking much along the same lines as you ie. Do I really need a sink? Do I really want water sloshing around inside the van? I'll be interested to see the response to this survey.
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD

simoncummins
80-90 Mem No: 1468

Post by simoncummins »

Got a sink and a tap but always use 10l water carrier and a plastic bowl. Very occasionally
use it for washing teeth.

danmetallic
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 11955

Post by danmetallic »

I'm a sink and tap man it has to be said. Use it for tea, cooking and washing.
1988 VW T25 Westfalia Club Joker, 2.1 iDJ

keith
80-90 Mem No: 5169

Post by keith »

im a bottle man...
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes

The Bishop
80-90 Mem No: 10021

Post by The Bishop »

It's one of the great pleasures of van ownership to turn on the tap and fill the kettle. Wouldn't be without it.

Regarding cleanliness, well we use a milton tablet every now and then and empty the tank when it's unlikely to be used or flush it through. You're right about the weight though.

I must admit if I were building one from new I might do away with running water and even make the cooker removable so that I could cook outside in warmer months or change the configeration of the layout to suit different needs - load carrying/people carrying/camping.

For me, it was the fridge that I decided used too much space for the level of benefit (i'm a bitter drinker rather than larger). So with shelving in it's place I can store more cans and bottles of wine :ok
1986 1.9 Petrol/LPG with Devon pop up.

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

Never bother using the tap or water tank as I don't wild camp. I used to. Now I just fill up from campsite taps and keep about 5 litres of water in a plastic can as a fall back. Water is heavy stuff. Why carry all that extra weight around when it's freely available wherever you go? In the end it's up to you.

eiret25
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by eiret25 »

I'm currently doing a self build. I have contemplated the idea of putting in a combination unit but after thinking about it, a kettle full of water and a basin (which could be used for other purposes) is just as good if not better than a sink. I am just going sticking in a SMEV hob and that will do me.

CovKid wrote a good article and this topic is touched on. Nice read, Here is the link
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=125831" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1986 1.6 D Bundeswehr T3 Kombi

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

Ralf85 wrote:Water is heavy stuff.

Not in the grand scheme of things. 20 litres of water is about 1% of the weight of the van. It's a third of the weight of a full tank of fuel.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

AdrianC wrote:

Not in the grand scheme of things. 20 litres of water is about 1% of the weight of the van. It's a third of the weight of a full tank of fuel.

That's a small water tank!

nicq
80-90 Mem No: 10290

Post by nicq »

Is bottled water lighter then or cheaper then :rofl :rofl :rofl
I have a 2 Gallon container to supply the tap. Easy to refill lasts a day or two.
2.1 Twin slider

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

Ralf85 wrote:
AdrianC wrote:

That's a small water tank!

You don't HAVE to fill it to the brim every time, y'know... But even if you do, 55 litres isn't much of a difference, either. Then, of course, there's 10kg of gas... and what's in the cupboards? Will you need the spare wheel for this trip? You can take weight saving to whatever extreme you want.

We used the water tank all the time when we were living in the van. Never noticed any difference in the way the van drove whether it was full or empty or half way. Did we drink it, unboiled? No. We always had a couple of mineral water bottles in the van for cold drinks or teeth-brushing. But we quite happily rinsed food with it, washed up with it, cooked with it and used it for tea. And survived.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Post by ZsZ »

I dont miss the tap as we always camp in full equipped campsites. But I am thinking that one foldable bucket or sink would be great.
By the way on the continent it is wery difficult to wildcamp.
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

discipleofsketch
80-90 Mem No: 11538

Post by discipleofsketch »

Yep I use the tap, but when I do, I use a massive amount of water! Basically if I use it rinse plates, pans etc. I seem to get through about 30 litres a day! In hot weather I wash up outside and use hardly any water. I do like to be able fill the kettle from the tap though :)
Former owner of 1983 DG panel van and 1983 Devon moonraker pop-top, 1.9 tdi (1z) conversion

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

I can't believe people don't drink from the tap in the van, using it will keep the tank clean. Me and the wife,kids have drunk the water from all our vans and lived to tell the tale! I tend to keep mine full all the time, leaving them empty or with only a little bit of water in for long times is where you can get taste issues.
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you