why are camper doors larger than the hole?

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Cyrus
80-90 Mem No: 9165

why are camper doors larger than the hole?

Post by Cyrus »

On reimo and westy interiors the cupboard doors are larger than the hole and have a rubber/ plastic seal around the edge.
is there a reason for this eg to stop rattling doors or is it just for looks?
I am thinking of re- vamping my interior with flush doors. What problems. Could / will I encounter if any?
Cheers

tforturton
80-90 Mem No: 11177

Re: why are camper doors larger than the hole?

Post by tforturton »

I always used to wonder about that - with the 'overlap', it must mean they use more wood/ply in the manufacturing, as they can't simply use the bit they cut out when making the hole for the door. Someone told me they were made that way so that the door shuts against the shell, and isn't relying on the catch to stop it's progress 'inwards'. Saved putting pressure on the catch and on the hinges, apparently.
If you think of all the doors in your house, they have a lip in the frame, to stop them going any further. If they didn't, then the onward swing of the door would pull the hinge screws out of the frame. Same thing with cupboard doors, apparently. Might be a load of bunk, but it does make a certain sort of sense.
But if that's the case, why doesn't everyone do it? Or do they have a lip, or a stop of some sort, on the inside edge?
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

Cyrus wrote:On reimo and westy interiors the cupboard doors are larger than the hole

Not on Westies, they're not. The actual panel sits semi-recessed into the hole. It's only edging that sits over the actual panel, stopping it going in.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

It's probably for the same reasons as there are architraves on the door frames in your house, in that it hides the join so it doesn't need to be made so accurately but the result still looks neat.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

dbz864
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 12098

Post by dbz864 »

If you mean reimo and reimo copies with rounded corners on the doors,its because when you cut the door out with a router bit. and then fit the rubber edging, it fits without any other cutting,if you know what I mean!
We should all start to live before we get too old. Fear is stupid. So are regrets.
- Marilyn Monroe

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

I think with lots of conversions the doors are larger than the apertures
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

scottbott
80-90 Mem No: 6085

Post by scottbott »

do not particularly like doors finished that way,look nicer flush fitting I think
Nil carborundum illegitimi

Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Some good replies, personally I like flush fitting doors of which I'll be making up myself as it would also use less wood. ( :ok if I was better at woodwork I'd probably go down a different route)

garyd
80-90 Mem No: 2934

Post by garyd »

dbz864 said -
dbz864 wrote:If you mean reimo and reimo copies with rounded corners on the doors,its because when you cut the door out with a router bit. and then fit the rubber edging, it fits without any other cutting,if you know what I mean!

I second that. The cupboard panels and doors are all one piece. The doors are cut out with a 5mm router and the special door edge trim 'expands' the cut our panel to be bigger than the hole it came from. Thus it is economic on materials and both are cut in a single operation.

To make flush doors requires the door and opening to be cut separately from different pieces of board and matched very accurately. And then you've got to finish the edges of both door and opening to make it look good. A lot more work for a factory production process.
Garyd

1990 Transporter syncro camper
2 litre AGG 'GTi' engine

Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Ok,
I thought the doors were made out of a separate piece of wood than the panel but what you are saying about them being routed out with a 5mm bit make sense.
cheers

nicq
80-90 Mem No: 10290

Post by nicq »

It has to be for style as a 5mm cut gives 2mm on each side perfect for a trim to go on with 1 mm gap imho
2.1 Twin slider