FUll width R&R bed

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mrmule
80-90 Mem No: 10656

FUll width R&R bed

Post by mrmule »

Hi chap(ess)s,

Looking to put a full width bed in the back of the caravelle. Had a genuine one ear marked up until recently but didn't work out. Should I hold out for another genuine one, or are there better aftermarket ones? If so, which? I want longevity and quality first and foremost.

Cheers!
T6 Pure Grey Kombi DSG 150PS on Bilsteins
RHD Caravelle Twin Slider DIY Syncro Westy EJ25

tforturton
80-90 Mem No: 11177

Re: FUll width R&R bed

Post by tforturton »

The proper caravelle ones are pretty good, and certainly comfortable to sleep on. The only drawback is that you might have to reposition the side pins (welded to rear side panels), and they can be hard work to open and close.
You can't fold the seat down with the middle row in place, so I usually take mine out for the summer.
Caravelle beds are full width, so make sure this is what you want, as it means there's little room for cupboards or wardrobes. A free standing kitchen unit is about all you can squeeze in. See my final paragraph.
Make sure you are buying a caravelle bed, as some people sell multivan beds, thinking that what they've got is a caravelle bed. Try and get a look at it before you buy - the multivan beds are slightly narrower, with shaped ends ( like there's a bit cut out), and they need special multivan side panels or else they look a bit weird. Needless to say, multivans came only in LHD, so it can be a bind to adapt the panels to a RHD.
I got my caravelle bed by placing a wanted advert on this site, and bumping it up the page every now and then. Got one eventually, but had to pay a fair whack for it. Someone will have one if you ask in the right places. Try posting on the Brickyard site as well as this one. Good luck.

Most aftermarket beds are made for bays, so don't quite fit properly. They don't sit low enough, and so you have to build up the rear floor ( the raised bit over the engine), so that the whole thing is at the same level. Some people like this as you can build in drawers or other storage - others don't. Perhaps your best bet is to look for someone breaking a bus and selling off the interior - there's one on the for sale pages now, and one on ebay. That way you get the whole lot, and you know it's going to fit.
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD

mrmule

Post by mrmule »

Thanks for the really helpful info Monsieur Burton - much appreciated. I'm glad to hear that the VW ones are worth holding out for. I most certainly want a full width because the van it's going in is a twin slider. Also, the middle row is coming out and buddy seats going in.

Begin the search! Hopefully in blue velour :)

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

Hello mrmule, haven't seen you about for a while...... :D
Might be worth dropping silverbullet a pm, I'm sure a fair while back he posted about converting a normal caravelle bench into a R&R buy buying the still available R&R hinges from VW.
I've yet to see a aftermarket R&R that I would fit and use. I would rather buy genuine hinges and copy the westfalia design (or VW)
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

Part number for hinges on this thread http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... s#p7467317" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; best to ask him if it would work before investing though....
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

mrmule

Post by mrmule »

Cheers Lloyd. But a normal bench seat is a lot more contoured than a R&R isn't it, so a little uncomfortable to sleep on?

tforturton

Post by tforturton »

There's a blue bed on ebay at the moment, in Middlesbrough. It looks a bit dirty, but would probably clean up. It does LOOK like a caravelle bed, though they seem to have got the frame/hinges messed up a bit ( the horizontal bar should be underneath the seat).

tforturton

Post by tforturton »

tforturton wrote:There's a blue bed on ebay at the moment, in Middlesbrough. It looks a bit dirty, but would probably clean up. It does LOOK like a caravelle bed, though they seem to have got the frame/hinges messed up a bit ( the horizontal bar should be underneath the seat).
It's filed under "vw t25 rock n roller bed"