Aircooled alternative heating whilst driving?

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Cheeky V
80-90 Mem No: 13074

Aircooled alternative heating whilst driving?

Post by Cheeky V »

This maybe completely mad but are there any alternative ways of heating the 2.0 Aircooled whilst on the move (or at least keeping the windscreen clear!)

someone in the past has removed the heat exchangers on our bus and i just wondered if anyone had come up with a different solution to buying new exchangers and all the other bits we don't have? :(
1982 2.0 CU Aircooled *home brew* camper

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: Aircooled alternative heating whilst driving?

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Petrol Webasto or Eberspächer is the obvious solution. Diesel one if you are prepared to add a small diesel tank.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

waltraud
80-90 Mem No: 5824

Post by waltraud »

Propex heater runs off lpg, can get them s/h
1983 1.9 Ivory Westy Joker

The Bobdogs
80-90 Mem No: 6101

Post by The Bobdogs »

Or why not fix the original system! Works very well when sorted properly and doesn't have any additional running costs.. :D
Heat exchangers can usually be found on fleabay, pipework and other bits from JK ...
'The Bobdogs'
Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.

07793 126323

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

The Bobdogs wrote:Or why not fix the original system! Works very well when sorted properly and doesn't have any additional running costs.. :D
Heat exchangers can usually be found on fleabay, pipework and other bits from JK ...

Totally agree. Also, to keep the front of your van warm make a curtain to fit behind the front seats. Attach it to the roof and sides with Velcro. That keeps you nice and toastie in the front. Blankets for those unfortunate enough to be sitting in the back, which they'd need to use anyway, even without the curtain.
:)

johnfevs
80-90 Mem No: 12879

Post by johnfevs »

I've been looking for a decent set of 2nd hand heat exchangers but they don't seem to come up that often. Looking at biting the bullet and buying some new ones, but at £500+ for all the parts it's not a cheap option.
I had a look underneath today and although some of the tinware is has rusted away hopefully this can be repaired. I'm going to try and fit myself but if this fails hopefully my local garage will take the job on
Morris. 1980 Air Cooled 2.0 CU pop top. Bristol
1.9 tdi T5 T30 transporter. Daily drive.

Cheeky V
80-90 Mem No: 13074

Post by Cheeky V »

Hence why I opt'd to get a Propex system! still keeping my eyes open for a cheap pair of exchangers though.
Have another question, is there a way to set the heater control levers so that they don't let any air thought the vents? bit of a downer when you've got the heating blowing through from the back but the front vents are letting in freezing cold air!

(i will be routing a hot air vent from the back through to the front and putting the curtain in that Ralf85 suggested :ok :D )
1982 2.0 CU Aircooled *home brew* camper