High top interior lighting

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

goody33
80-90 Mem No: 12888

High top interior lighting

Post by goody33 »

I am in the process of fitting a new interior to the camper and wasn't sure what to do about lighting.
I am fitting a new carpeted plyboard ceiling panel and need to know what I'm doing about the lighting over the R&R bed area before I fit it.
I could also do with seeing what some of you have done about lighting over the kitchen area.
Does anyone have any picture of their interior so I can get some ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Phil.
1982 2.0 Tin top T25 camper
1994 1.9d VW T4 800 Special
1991 VW Polo GT Coupe
1992 Fiat 126 Bis

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Re: High top interior lighting

Post by 1664 »

You are about to be bombarded by people extolling the virtues of LED lighting. It does have it's place and from an electricity consumption perspective is second to none BUT it's limited in it's applications due to it's lack of 'spread' for want of a better word. The light is very direct; almost as if focused like a torch so if you want an entire area lit up generally rather than a specific part of it I'd install a single 8W fluorescent like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lumo-1-Light- ... 2eca32f171" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or fit both types and have the best of both worlds :wink:
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

goody33

Post by goody33 »

1664 wrote:You are about to be bombarded by people extolling the virtues of LED lighting. It does have it's place and from an electricity consumption perspective is second to none BUT it's limited in it's applications due to it's lack of 'spread' for want of a better word. The light is very direct; almost as if focused like a torch so if you want an entire area lit up generally rather than a specific part of it I'd install a single 8W fluorescent like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lumo-1-Light- ... 2eca32f171" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or fit both types and have the best of both worlds :wink:

Thanks for the reply.
I think I will mix the lighting and use both types.
1991 VW Polo GT Coupe
1992 Fiat 126 Bis

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

I think my use of "bombarded" might have been a little excessive :lol:
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

syncropatrick
80-90 Mem No: 5294

Post by syncropatrick »

I've fitted a 5m string of warm LEDs around my roof. With a dimmer switch the coverage is excellent and can be made into mood lighting or super bright for looking for stuff. Cost about a tenner and a couple of hours to install.
Campervan Dehler Profi hightop Syncro 16” AGG

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

to much light makes it look like a shop
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

pandkh
80-90 Mem No: 13031

Post by pandkh »

Hi

As you can see, the space between the roof and the upstairs floor, is a great place to hide your lighting wires.

I fitted these, bargain at £20. They run at 12v so you can cut the adaptor plug off and just wire into the leisure battery. They're super slim and I fitted them into the carpet lining on my fixed high top. I just ran the cable down behind into the frame and then extended the wire under the roof bed as per the photo above and dealt with the connections there. Don't be tempted to use the 4 way adaptor that came with it. I burnt through that and shorted it all out! just stick a 5 amp in-line fuse and wire it all together.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/circular-led-sp ... ack-611249" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In this photo you can just see one of the lights and the switch I used (CBE single pole switch). But the other two are threaded into the grey carpet in the high top roof. 4th is at the rear, shining down from the overhead cupboard.

1986 1.9 petrol water-cooled high top

goody33

Post by goody33 »

pandkh wrote:Hi

As you can see, the space between the roof and the upstairs floor, is a great place to hide your lighting wires.

I fitted these, bargain at £20. They run at 12v so you can cut the adaptor plug off and just wire into the leisure battery. They're super slim and I fitted them into the carpet lining on my fixed high top. I just ran the cable down behind into the frame and then extended the wire under the roof bed as per the photo above and dealt with the connections there. Don't be tempted to use the 4 way adaptor that came with it. I burnt through that and shorted it all out! just stick a 5 amp in-line fuse and wire it all together.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/circular-led-sp ... ack-611249" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In this photo you can just see one of the lights and the switch I used (CBE single pole switch). But the other two are threaded into the grey carpet in the high top roof. 4th is at the rear, shining down from the overhead cupboard.

Thanks for that. I will check those out.

Phil.
1991 VW Polo GT Coupe
1992 Fiat 126 Bis