replacing westy pop top canvas

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

cornishjester
80-90 Mem No: 0

replacing westy pop top canvas

Post by cornishjester »

Hi. Can anyone help us decide which roof canvas to purchase. We have just bought a 1985 jowestfalia joker and need to fit new canvas and seals. The current canvas has only 1 window but the ones available with aluminium strip round which we have all seem to have 3 windows. We want to buy a good heavy weight canvas as plan to use the van in winter. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Many thanks

rainman
80-90 Mem No: 4142

Re: replacing westy pop top canvas

Post by rainman »

The main difference I found was that the later canvas was slightly wider at the top front, it doesn't really matter how it's attached to van or roof so long as it fits. I've done this twice, the first canvas was from JK and was the cheapest I could find. The second time I paid a bit more and am very pleased with the quality though I only put it on a couple of months ago so can't really comment on how well it will last but it certainly feels and looks better and was a good fit.
1983 2L a/c CU homebrew (ex-Autohomes Kamper)

cornishjester

Post by cornishjester »

Ok. Who did you get the second one ? Fitting looks relatively straight forward, any tip welcome though. Cheers

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

Bought my 3 window canvas from the westie section on Gunzl. Good quality, but thin. You would need those insulating wrap arounds for winter time. Gunzl and others sell these too. The earlier canvas does not fit models that hold the canvas down with aluminium strips. For this conversion you need the later one. Trust me!

I think it says from 1986 onwards for the later one on the Gunzl website. Mine was a cross over conversion built in 1984/5 but it still needed the later canvas as it was held down with the ali strips.
Good luck.
:)

Tobyt25

Post by Tobyt25 »

Google proud2pop

cornishjester

Post by cornishjester »

Thanks for replies. Have looked at " proud to pop" but only do t2 westfalias. Looking at the one on "brickwerks" anyone opted for one from them? Whats the qaulity difference between paying £180 odd for a just kampers one or the £370 @ brickwerks. is there actually any difference in the product does anyone know?

rainman
80-90 Mem No: 4142

Post by rainman »

Can't comment on the brickwerks one but I'm guessing those around the £350 mark (see also Gunzl and VW Heritage) are of similar quality which are better than the cheaper JK ones. I got this one http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Wes ... try_GB.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, having had the JK one before.
1983 2L a/c CU homebrew (ex-Autohomes Kamper)

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

I will be replacing mine in a year or so.. other than the brickwerks/gunzle type ones i've been looking at the northwesy sunbrella material ones
http://kirkmeeks.com/syncro_store/new_parts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (bottom of page)
or the http://www.atelierspk.com/west_english.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; version this one has a very long waiting list, but does have nice features like replaceable flynets and channels to run wiring for lights ect
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

chriscburgess
80-90 Mem No: 4405

Post by chriscburgess »

Just replaced mine with the more expensive ones from JK - listed as "German quality" about £350.

it actually comes with a Gunzl label sewn in and the quality is really good - although not quite as thick as the original but a very nice fit. I have an early Westy with the staples strips to fit it.
T25 1984 Westfalia pop 1.9DG

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

Its all about waking up with a view :wink:

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

cornishjester

Post by cornishjester »

all very helpful, thanks. have oted for brickwreks one which on arrival has gunzl label so all good. quality seems good. dismantled everything to fit yesterday. trouble is it seems too small! going to try with fresh eyes today! sure there must just be a knack to it.

Winchweight
80-90 Mem No: 12697

Post by Winchweight »

We are going to do the same thing early next year. So loads of pictures please!
http://www.thelittleredbus.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VW 2.1 WBX DJ Syncro Doka - SOLD
VW 1.9 TDi AHU Syncro Camper

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

cornishjester wrote:all very helpful, thanks. have oted for brickwreks one which on arrival has gunzl label so all good. quality seems good. dismantled everything to fit yesterday. trouble is it seems too small! going to try with fresh eyes today! sure there must just be a knack to it.

There are two sizes. If your camper was built up to 1985 most canvas was stapled on and a smaller canvas was fitted. If your canvas is held down with ali strips you need the larger 1986 onwards one. Some were converted to campers at the crossover period so you need to check before buying.
:ok

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

I've joined the waiting list for this one http://www.atelierspk.com/west_english.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; might arrive in time for summer. And shipping isn't a issue due to family in Canada :D
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you