Question for Viking owners

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Question for Viking owners

Post by CJH »

My Viking seems to have a number of exposed screws on the face of the kitchen units - some with screw caps on, some with just the screw heads showing. So are these as fitted by Motorhomes International 30 years ago, or have they been tastefully added by a subsequent owner? I count 4 in the first photo and two more in the second photo. How many of these are present in an unmolested van (if there is such a thing after 30 years) and which ones would have had plastic screw caps on?

"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

vwaddict
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Question for Viking owners

Post by vwaddict »

Ours has'nt got any type of screws visable on the front panels/cupboards, but someone at some point decided to have a go & replace the worktop then got totally carried away with the screws n caps.....
1989 devon shuttlebus with reimo interior 1.6jx

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Re: Question for Viking owners

Post by CJH »

Thank you - even if your reply is a little disappointing! So it means a previous owner must have taken it apart and decided those additional screws were the best way to put it back together again. Oh well. I'm planning to strip it all out to replace the floor some time soon, so I'll see if I can figure out why they did that and maybe put it back together without those screws. What you say seems to be borne out by the photos over in the camper van interior website, although those photos are just a little bit low res to see clearly.

These two almost certainly show no screw heads on the bit just ahead of the wardrobe:

But this one seems to show the same two screws that I have above the fridge:

So how many screw caps have you got in your worktop - I've got a couple in each fixed piece, i.e. the two narrow end pieces and the back sections of all three lifting flaps.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ