Magazine Article - Holdsworth, Autosleeper, Autohomes

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

DaveyP2004
80-90 Mem No: 6116

Magazine Article - Holdsworth, Autosleeper, Autohomes

Post by DaveyP2004 »

Nice magazine review from 1989 featuring Holdsworth Vision, Autosleeper Trident and Autohomes Komet. :D

http://www.holdsworth.vwt25camper.info/ ... viewWM.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers,
Dave
(http://www.vwT25camper.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Re: Magazine Article - Holdsworth, Autosleeper, Autohomes

Post by 1664 »

Excellent. Three of the nicest conversions around. They're very similar to each other.
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

DaveyP2004

Post by DaveyP2004 »

Just checked out the 3 registration plates from the article on the DVLA Check vehicle site and it would appear the Autosleeper Trident is still on the road - maybe someone on here ?

Looks like the other two are no longer with us :cry:

Post by 1664 »

DaveyP2004 wrote:Just checked out the 3 registration plates from the article on the DVLA Check vehicle site and it would appear the Autosleeper Trident is still on the road - maybe someone on here ?

Looks like the other two are no longer with us :cry:
I never thought of that. Does the DVLA show a vehicle up if it's off the road and SORNed?

Actually thinking about it, how can three different vans from three different conversion companies carried out in three separate places in the UK all get registered in perfect number plate series?

DaveyP2004

Post by DaveyP2004 »

I thought the same but it says in the article "Our thanks go to Berkshire Motor Caravans, of Chieveley,
Berkshire, who supplied us with the vehicles analysed here.If you're still undecided which model to go for after
reading this, Berkshire are one of a few motor caravan dealerships with franchises for Autohomes, Auto-Sleepers
and Holdsworth conversions."

So I would assume it was this dealer that registered the vans hence the sequential reg numbers?

As for DVLA I think if the van hasn't been scrapped they still show up but the date of liability maybe an old date if vehicle status is unlicenced - and vehicle status will show as "SORN not due" if vehicle is SORN. (Try using these reg numbers on the DVLA site from earlier VW magazine articles for examples F714YJT and DDG259Y.)

Cheers,
Dave
(http://www.blog.vwcamperguide.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

pionte
80-90 Mem No: 8209

Post by pionte »

Great post, very interesting.

Back in the 80's I didnt have any interest in VW campers :oops: preferring XR3I's etc, but I knew the Richard Holdsworth name... he had a great reputation, I think he went over to converting Renault vans ?? before going under. Shame.
2.5 Quad Cam Scooby engine . Westfalia California 1989

Post by 1664 »

DaveyP2004 wrote:So I would assume it was this dealer that registered the vans hence the sequential reg numbers?
A yes that would explain it. I always thought the original camper owners bought their campers directly from the conversion companies as this allowed them to select the various options they wanted specific to their vehicle. Obviously you could go to a dealer; makes sense I suppose, how better to compare different conversions other than to view them side by side?