smelly Propex

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

hammondboy
80-90 Mem No: 11839

smelly Propex

Post by hammondboy »

Wonder if anyone has any ideas on this one. The Propex heater in our van has starteted emitting a strong sort of gluey smell once it has been on for a few minutes. I assume something near or in it is warming up and melting but I have no idea what that might be. Anything obvious leap to mind before I delve in? Cheers

Dad
80-90 Mem No: 11860

Re: smelly Propex

Post by Dad »

I'd have a good look around the propex, where is the control box? It shouldn't be touching the hot Box.
In an auto sleeper you can push the bottom of the sliding rack cupboard up from inside the potty cabinet to get more access.
Hth nic.
1990 autosleeper trident 1.9 lpg

scottbott
80-90 Mem No: 6085

Post by scottbott »

did not know you could do that,worth remembering
Nil carborundum illegitimi

Negativegravity
80-90 Mem No: 10992

Post by Negativegravity »

I have EXACTLY the same issue. Brand new propex, fitted with plenty of space around it. Checked after a fair bit of use and nothing seems to have melted to cause the smell?! Figured it would burn off as it's new after a while but not done so as of yet! CO monitor not gone off so presume all is ok?! Sorry this isn't much help. Just letting you know mine does it too!

hammondboy

Post by hammondboy »

Mine only started doing it recently, still haven't figured out what it is. Need to get it sorted as the smell is too strong to live with.. it must be something.
My CO alarm doesn't go off either. Will let you know if I figure it out.

jas915
80-90 Mem No: 6242

Post by jas915 »

could it just not be dust built up over the summer buring off, mine is like that if left for a few weeks but soon clears.
Grey/white high top, AAZ.

hammondboy

Post by hammondboy »

jas915 wrote:could it just not be dust built up over the summer buring off, mine is like that if left for a few weeks but soon clears.
I did think that initially but it is definitely a gluey smell rather than a burning dust smell, there's a definite chemical whiff to it.

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

Where is the air intake positioned? Not the outside air for the actual burner that gets exhausted externally, the air intake from inside the van itself that gets heated and blown back into the van.
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!