LPG tank and BP garages

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

nobbyfox
80-90 Mem No: 9991

LPG tank and BP garages

Post by nobbyfox »

Having finally sorted my faulty LPG gauge (see topic below) I tried to fill up at my local BP garage (Ewell by-pass) but have always had trouble.
Have tried to use the BP garage before but always the pump just flashes and it will not fill.
The Texaco garage outside of Leatherhead is always successful though. Why?
Is it because I am using an adaptor on the tank and therefor the BP garage does not connect correctly??

Anybody encountered the same problems?

Thanks
Steve
Westfalia pop-top 1990 1.6JX

The Bishop
80-90 Mem No: 10021

Re: LPG tank and BP garages

Post by The Bishop »

Yes I have sometimes been frustrated by this.

Is it because some filling stations have a very long line to from the storage tank to the pump and so it takes an age to get the flow through? I know that is the case at my local BP. Have to wait about a minute before it starts flowing!
1986 1.9 Petrol/LPG with Devon pop up.

nobbyfox

Post by nobbyfox »

I can't get our BP garage to even do that. The pump just flashes and wont do anything or maybe i am just impatient?
Will stick to the local Texaco in future .

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Had the same problem with having to wait with hand on button before it starts filling
also seen non working pumps where the attendant is not aware of any problems, go back later and its working maybe run out and they are not aware
some have a timeout where if you don't get it on and hit the button quick enough it won't fill, used to get me when I was new to it all and slower
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

The 'Time Out' feature can easily catch you out......you need to get the bayonet nozzle off the hanger, fitted to the adapter, the trigger pulled and locked with the button pressed and all in under about 30 seconds (not sure exactly the time but it is quick).

Also.....the system detects leaks so won't work if the adapter is loose.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

If the pump is flashing it's not reset.
Operator not pressed the button inside.
I have been using LPG as a road fuel since early 2003 and never not been able to fill from a working pump, and never seen or experienced a timeout. There is no electrical connection between the pump nozzle holster and the start button as far as I have ever seen, the pump won't reset the previous readings until you press the fill button.

Some pumps do, as said earlier take a long time to start, as the tanks are miles away across the forecourt or round the back, never below the ground under the pumps like petrol or tractor fuel.
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

nobbyfox

Post by nobbyfox »

Thanks all. Maybe I will try and be patient next time......or a bit quicker!!

Wychall
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 9841

Post by Wychall »

My local station does it all for me! Good old fashioned "fill 'er up please". :ok
South African 1991 2.5i Microbus - now sadly rehomed to pay for a Melco EMT16X Embroidery Machine.

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

Mocki wrote:If the pump is flashing it's not reset.
Operator not pressed the button inside.
I have been using LPG as a road fuel since early 2003 and never not been able to fill from a working pump, and never seen or experienced a timeout. There is no electrical connection between the pump nozzle holster and the start button as far as I have ever seen, the pump won't reset the previous readings until you press the fill button.

Some pumps do, as said earlier take a long time to start, as the tanks are miles away across the forecourt or round the back, never below the ground under the pumps like petrol or tractor fuel.

Given what you are saying Steve, maybe the re-set is with the till operator in the shop?
Either way....I remember having to replace the nozzle on the pump more than a couple of times after taking too long (remember I'm talking about the westy tank under the van so a bit awkward to get to)

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Mocki wrote:there is no electrical connection between the pump nozzle holster and the start button as far as I have ever seen,

How would you know that without seeing inside the pump?
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

I've never had a problem actually starting the fill but have had a problem with how much the system will fill before deciding I'm 'full'. I ran out of lpg and filled up at a autogas outlet near me; a little over 50ltrs which is 80% of my 60ltr tank and a couple of ltrs for the leisure tank.
I drove about 120 miles and decided to refill before setting off home again. Popped into a shell garage, hooked up and pressed the fill button. Started filling as normal but it stopped after 3ltrs having decided I was now full :?
This scenario has happened twice now out of about ten fills since I've had the van converted so obviously they're not all singing from the same hymn sheet. Bluddy embarrassing paying for 3ltrs I can tell you :oops:

As an aside, the only petrol stations I have seen so far selling lpg have been Shell; not seen a BP one selling it yet.
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!