LPG tank gauge

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

nobbyfox
80-90 Mem No: 9991

Re: LPG tank gauge

Post by nobbyfox »

nobbyfox wrote:
JamesKT25 wrote:My gauge is hopeless, its a 65 litre tank, when the gauge says empty i can get 30 litres in it tops...hahaha

65L!! That's a big tank :shock: Think my Westafalia is only 20L.

Steve

Ah that explains it then. Of course !! :oops:
Westfalia pop-top 1990 1.6JX

nobbyfox

Post by nobbyfox »

California Dreamin wrote:Hi there....Westy Leisure LPG tank (for cooking/fridge with BBQ take off point) from memory it's approximately 16 litres (just under £11.00 to fill from empty)

I think there are a couple of misleading replies above: firstly..the gauge itself operates on magnetic attraction and isn't physically connected to the mechanism inside the tank (this is just held in place with a couple of screws).
And
Rather than the float being 'holed' as you put it...the LPG actually just seeps past the threads into the float. As in, the float is screwed onto a rod and it becomes loose allowing the liquid to seep into the float past the threads.

When I did mine it was just a question of unscrewing the float (any LPG instantly evaporates away) then the float is resealed using 'gas grade' PTFE tape on the threads of the pivot rod.

As for the mechanism itself: this is held into the tank with 4 allen screws behind the gauge. Release and tighten evenly, I also re-used the 'O' ring seal without issue. Extract the mechanism to remove the float on the end of the pivot rod arm. Once re-sealed the float will correctly move and the magnetic attraction of the mechanisms internal magnet will then operate the external gauge.

Martin

Thanks Martin, Wasn't sure of the actual size, just knew it was small.
Ah was it you who posted originally?

Have found out that there is still a little bit after all in the tank (just enough for Busfest i hope) so will tackle this job soon.

Thanks
Steve

nobbyfox

Post by nobbyfox »

When the OP posted about their gauge I am fairly sure that he meant the gauge unit (but then again.......).[/quote]

Just to stop any confusion, my original post was due to the fact that the needle does not move, so i assume, as Martin has stated, that the float is leaking. The gauge face is absolutely fine. :ok

nobbyfox

Re: LPG tank gauge - Update

Post by nobbyfox »

Have finally sorted my faulty gauge.
On taking it apart, the float was full of LPG. A quick fix with PTFE tape and everything now works as it should.

A few turns of tape and it now feels tighter.

and on filling the tank the needle moves for the first time in 3 years :ok

Thanks
Steve

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

Pleased to be of assistance and exactly as I described....sorry, just had to say it after all the doubting Thomas's.

And with the pictures this would be a nice bit of visual info for the WIKI.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

nobbyfox

Post by nobbyfox »

Thanks Martin and thanks for your guidance.
I hope it can be uploaded to the wiki. Can i do this or a moderator?

Cheers
Steve

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

JamesKT25 wrote:My gauge is hopeless, its a 65 litre tank, when the gauge says empty i can get 30 litres in it tops...hahaha

Obviously you're on about an engine lpg tank not the leisure type. Set your trip meter when you fill up and work it out from there :ok

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure