Table fixing advice

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Louey
80-90 Mem No: 1108

Table fixing advice

Post by Louey »

I got myself a bargain at Ikea last week and bought a nice panel to make a table for the van.

Its a 6mm panel. I've managed to buy some metal for the edges to stiffen up the table and stop flexing. My biggest problem is the table leg fitting. I have an recessed socket in the floor and I want to fit one onto the underside of thee table.

One of these
The wood is not really thick enough to screw into, what should I use to fit the socket to the table?
Suggestions please?
Louey

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░ 'The only Tranny in the village' ▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

New Kentish Campers
80-90 Mem No: 8994

Re: Table fixing advice

Post by New Kentish Campers »

I think the easiest way would be to use a small piece of ply or similar, just larger than the new base and glue it to the underside of the new table, so as to give sufficient 'purchase' for the fixing screws. Should work ok for you :ok

Doug.

fazzer
80-90 Mem No: 7803

Post by fazzer »

same sort of thing ive done but i used an 18mm piece of mdf same shape as table base ,and screwed them together then glued it to base of table.

OLD ONE
80-90 Mem No: 1737

Post by OLD ONE »

I would suggest some thing the same size as the table top ( as it is if someone leans too hard on it it will surely break) Like a suitable size ply of the same thickness.. Glued and screwed via new base
Health has now stopped me camping Etc.

vwsween
80-90 Mem No: 1368

Post by vwsween »

OLD ONE wrote:I would suggest some thing the same size as the table top ( as it is if someone leans too hard on it it will surely break) Like a suitable size ply of the same thickness.. Glued and screwed via new base

Yes surely its too thin to be strong enough as a table. I suggest you just buy a proper tabletop and save all the grief and if you need a fiamma chrome pole for the leg, there is a spare 66cm one in my shed.
T5 174 Cali.

Louey

Post by Louey »

vwsween wrote:
OLD ONE wrote:I would suggest some thing the same size as the table top ( as it is if someone leans too hard on it it will surely break) Like a suitable size ply of the same thickness.. Glued and screwed via new base

Yes surely its too thin to be strong enough as a table. I suggest you just buy a proper tabletop and save all the grief and if you need a fiamma chrome pole for the leg, there is a spare 66cm one in my shed.

It's not a VW camper so the table was never going to be a standard off the shelf size. The metal edging gives the table enough rigidity.

I was hoping I could avoid adding extra bits of wood that would make the table thicker to reduce storage space - I have a specific spot set aside for sliding the table into when not in use. Is there any suitable adhesive/silicon etc that I could use to bond the socket to the table?

I'll add a photo either later or tomorrow as I'm still at work.
Louey

Louey

Post by Louey »

I did buy three sheets of the board (£2 each :D )so if needed I could bond two of them together - I'll have to check the overall thickness to see if screws could then go in OK.
Louey