pop top canvas replacement query

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

rainman
80-90 Mem No: 4142

pop top canvas replacement query

Post by rainman »

Just checking before I click 'buy' and part with £355.40 - the replacement westy canvas is available in pre-'84 and post-'84 format. I've got a pre-'84 van and ordered accordingly from JK last time but it didn't fit well at the top front. I believe from what I've read on here before (can't find it now) that the later version is wider in that area and I think the roof I've put on is probably from a later model.
So, I'm guessing it's the later one I need to fit well along the top, i.e. to the elevating roof, but will it fit ok along the bottom, i.e. to the van body or is it a completely different size?

see picImage

thanks in advance
1983 2L a/c CU homebrew (ex-Autohomes Kamper)

rainman
80-90 Mem No: 4142

Re: pop top canvas replacement query

Post by rainman »

Well I found the post:

The early canvas has a flexible plastic beading strip around the bottom of the canvas that traps under the aluminium fixing strip, the top has no beading strip and is stapled to the wood strips then a seperate plastic fixing strip is stapled on. The later one has the same plastic fixing beading strip using aluminium strips and screws to both top and bottom of the canvas. The front panel is also wider at the top on the later one.

but am now even more uncertain. Mine is attached using the plastic strip and staples, which suggests it's an early version, but is definitely too narrow at the top. I had to add a couple of batons of wood in order to make it fit. I reckon I'll plunge for the later one and hope for the best.
1983 2L a/c CU homebrew (ex-Autohomes Kamper)