awning recomendations please

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Gary.pb
80-90 Mem No: 11867

awning recomendations please

Post by Gary.pb »

We are considering purchasing an awning for the camper and have found this one

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/outdoor-rev ... kombi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just wanted to know if anybody else has got one and if they are any good. I know its a lot of money for an awning but from experience I have found that with tents and awnings you seem to get what you pay for. It seems a pretty good size, lightweight, and had a reasonable sleeping compartment if needed

Sleedale
80-90 Mem No: 11478

Re: awning recomendations please

Post by Sleedale »

Bangor Air Away Sapera (large) or Kela (small)

Inflatable beams means no pole threading, two side doors, front opens to make a canopy, comes with inner tent for two people (although we haven't used ours, it takes up space inside and ŵ like space to sit and chill.

Very well designed and made.

Quick to put up, takes us about 15 minutes, although Vango say the awning can be pitched in 5 minutes, thinks that's without the guys, but it does pitch fast, and gets you inside out of the rain quickly.

We love ours :ok
Sue
1985 1.9 DG petrol, 4 speed, wasserboxer, Cavalier Coachman Classic

T3luestar
80-90 Mem No: 13845

Post by T3luestar »

My vote is for a quick erect Khyam.
http://www.khyam.co.uk/products.asp?s=C ... %20Awnings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gary.pb

Post by Gary.pb »

Sleedale wrote:Bangor Air Away Sapera (large) or Kela (small)

Inflatable beams means no pole threading, two side doors, front opens to make a canopy, comes with inner tent for two people (although we haven't used ours, it takes up space inside and ŵ like space to sit and chill.

Quick to put up, takes us about 15 minutes, although Vango say the awning can be pitched in 5 minutes, thinks that's without the guys, but it does pitch fast, and gets you inside out of the rain quickly.

I did look at this one but the small was too small and I think the large was £550, bit too much for me im afraid. Not sure I could justify that to the wife :run

meridian911
80-90 Mem No: 7372

Post by meridian911 »

My votes with the kyham too, ours has put up with some serious downpours and gale force winds without any problems.

nevill3
80-90 Mem No: 8062
Location: UK Lake District, Early 1.6D CS now 4 speed gearbox

Post by nevill3 »

We had an outdoor revolution drive away awning and was extremely disappointed with it. It was the square movelite XL but it leaked at all the seams and the poles were far too bendy to cope with the windy weather we usually find when using UK coastal campsites.

After camping for years I decided that I would never have a Flexi poled tent or awning again.

We have settled for an old style frame tent type drive away awning.

I did like the look and fit of the old JustKampers awning but they don't do them in our colour. http://www.justkampers.com/camper-van-m ... icles.html
1983 1.6D cs PopTop Camper

Baysbrown Farm Campsite, Lake District

infidel
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by infidel »

Sleedale wrote:Bangor Air Away Sapera (large) or Kela (small)

we were at bug island last weekend and watched one of those deflate during a gale. :cry:
the occupants drove off to the nearest Holliday Inn at Newport for the night.

we were thinking of getting one `till we saw this happen.
shame, `cause they look good.

dumbo
80-90 Mem No: 10625

Post by dumbo »

hi... we got the large sapera :D its very good.. its hard to belive last quote :?: because its has 3 separate air beams... peg down all 4 corners inflate used last week at white noise & this week at skegves and no probs and theres a lot of people now got them and happy to??? :ok cheers simon
1986 DG WBX AUTOHOMES kamper

Sleedale

Post by Sleedale »

Must have been a huge gale - they are supposed to be tested in 70mph winds - unless it wasn't properly pitched? Can't work out why one would deflate in high wind? Blow away perhaps, bend, flex etc but to deflate?

I'm sure they aren't perfect, but we love ours and have friend with one also Whois a tent geek, and even she thinks it's good.

Anyhow, enough plugging, each to their own, hope the OP finds their perfect van extension :ok
Sue

rainman
80-90 Mem No: 4142

Post by rainman »

I wouldn't recommend kyham compact 300, (broken poles, leaks, stitching come undone, peg loops snapped) - maybe the more expensive models might be of better quality.
1983 2L a/c CU homebrew (ex-Autohomes Kamper)

RobH
80-90 Mem No: 8671

Post by RobH »

Got an Outdoor Revolutions Movelite Square and very happy with it, doesn't leak or bow, just replaced one section of pole that cracked after 4 years it did come with a spare section though.

Comes with a separate inner sleep section and loose ground sheet.
'89 Home brew camper, 1.9 petrol twin-slider tin-top

trucker
80-90 Mem No: 8980

Post by trucker »

We have a Kyham motordome sleeper which is a great size and relatively easy to put up but I'm sure the quality of our 2011 one isn't as good as our old rigidome tent which is basically the same design with out the bit that attaches to the van. 2 or 3 broken knuckle joints and a couple of un-stitched tabs, a bit disappointing considering how good the old one was. saying that, it survived a massive storm in the Dordonge that flattened loads of other tents and awnings.
Quit ad modum panis tosti

Gary.pb

Post by Gary.pb »

cheers for all the advice guys, I have just bought one on ebay

it is a perfect colour for my van and I think it was a really good price, hopefully picking it up tomorrow :ok

what do you think?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-Ty ... true&rt=nc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sleedale

Post by Sleedale »

That's a lovely awning, canvas too. Might need to re proof it?
Sue

Gary.pb

Post by Gary.pb »

Sleedale wrote:That's a lovely awning, canvas too. Might need to re proof it?

Thanks,

I did want one a bit bigger to be honest but it was 10 mins up the road and cheap. I will use it for the rest of the year and hopefully get one a little bigger next year.