Fitting an LPG tank in place of my water tank?

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Re: Fitting an LPG tank in place of my water tank?

Post by Ian Hulley »

CJH wrote: Does a genuine Westy tank have a built-in locker to protect all the valves and connections from road salt and mud? Where are the gauge and filler point mounted on one of those?

Hiya, the filler and gauge are mounted on the side inside a protective cover (IF that hasn't decayed and dropped off over the years :roll: )

No there is no external cover as such like the Westy Eberspachers have and we've never had any problems with our's thus far *touches wood*

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Post by CJH »

keith2 wrote:I took the internal water tank out from my Viking, as when we bought the van we filled it up and it split, nicley flooding the van with quite a few litres of water! Converted the space into storage fitting a removable shelf to split the area, you can get most things in and out of the lower part through the small drop down door by the rear seat.

To replace the internal tank, I installed a submersible pump and have a water container in the wardrobe, bit like the Devons have - works great.

Cheers
Keith

Thanks Keith, that's useful, if unfortunate, experience. Yes, potential failure of that tank, combined with the lack of a drain point and inaccessible hose connections (one in particular) make it seem like a worse and worse idea the more I think about it!

That drop down flap or the flip up worktop seem like the sensible options for access. The other possibility I considered is the right-hand wall of the cupboard under the hob. All of the options make it better suited to 'occasional' access, but it would still be useful. It crossed my mind that the bottom half of that space looked distinctly battery-shaped, so I could perhaps move some of the freed-up space to the battery box behind the passenger seat :idea
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

CJH

Post by CJH »

Ian Hulley wrote:Hiya, the filler and gauge are mounted on the side inside a protective cover (IF that hasn't decayed and dropped off over the years :roll: )

No there is no external cover as such like the Westy Eberspachers have and we've never had any problems with our's thus far *touches wood*

Thanks Ian

I'll keep my eyes open for one - any idea what a used Westy setup goes for? I can't help feeling a new install might prove better value in my case.

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

CJH wrote: any idea what a used Westy setup goes for? I can't help feeling a new install might prove better value in my case.

Should be £100-ish but I've seen them offered here for FAR more than that ...

Mr Gasure supplies and fits leisure tanks.

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

CJH

Post by CJH »

Ian Hulley wrote: Mr Gasure supplies and fits leisure tanks.

Thanks, yes, I've emailed him to discuss getting a quote.