Table between front seats

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

meggles

Table between front seats

Post by meggles »

Just wondering if any conversions actually had these as standard. The type I mean is the island table with the base sitting in a hole in the floor. Maybe I know someone with the actual conversion and I can get the measurements for the hole the base sits in. :wink:

Mark Foss
80-90 Mem No: 4088

Re: Table between front seats

Post by Mark Foss »

Keith the komet has such a feature!
T25 Tintop homebrew interior
1.9 DG late engine

StuM
80-90 Mem No: 8281

Post by StuM »

Mark Foss wrote:Keith the komet has such a feature!

Hi,

There is a photo half way down this page:

http://www.autohomes.vwt25camper.info/h ... met_1.html

Cheers,
Stu
ex-1985 Type 2 T3 Transporter - 1.9 DG - The Van's Blog

Ian and Lins
80-90 Mem No: 3532

Post by Ian and Lins »

We've got one and it's dead handy. The hole is the same size and takes the same fitment as the one in the back. I'll take piccies and measure it if you like?
Are we going on anything else?

1985 Petrol 1.9 A/S Hightop

OLD ONE
80-90 Mem No: 1737

Post by OLD ONE »

I have one in my Autosleeper, fitted as standard. It is the same size as the standard table fittings as fitted in camper dining area, but table top is smaller.
Health has now stopped me camping Etc.

LittleMissSunshine
80-90 Mem No: 10589

Post by LittleMissSunshine »

Mine is same diameter but the post is shorter and the table has a square end to rest on the dashboard for extra support.
1988 transporter caravelle Komet. 1.9 petrol.

meggles

Post by meggles »

Thanks to all of you. The bit I was uncertain about was where to drill the hole for the base. Then I had a brainwave (gave me a headache!!). I got underneath and made a couple of marks through the floor with a centre punch. Simples!
Anyway, all done and had a trial run with the rear table. As said it's just a tad too large so I'll make up another slightly smaller. The bit about using the dash for support sounds good, I'll work on that.
Thanks again folks. I now have an Autosleeper Kameo (minus the cocktail cabinet - my next project). :lol:
Needs finishing but well pleased so far. Cost? £12 up to now. :ok

btw, anybody want measurements I'll be pleased to pm you the dimensions, distances etc.

scottbott
80-90 Mem No: 6085

Post by scottbott »

I thought al autosleepers had a table mounted in the front,same as the fitting in the back,since I fitted saab seats in the front the smaller table touches the seat so I turn it around slightly,not that happy with it really,the father in law gave me a small table from his old kontiki motorhome that will fit in the gap a lot better just need to but the aluminium mounting bracket to fit underneath,hope to pick one up at Busfest
Nil carborundum illegitimi

a1winchester
80-90 Mem No: 7187

Post by a1winchester »

Very strange that your Autosleeper doesn't already have the kit.

As above, I too thought it was standard. Maybe it was an optional extra?

1990 Autosleeper Trident. Water cooled 1.9L DG + 4 speed manual box

meggles

Post by meggles »

Mine's the Trident version. Cheaper option? Doesn't have heater under rear seat either :(

scottbott
80-90 Mem No: 6085

Post by scottbott »

no I do not have the hotbox fitted,I think it was an option
Nil carborundum illegitimi

rich2goats
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by rich2goats »

I'm not that handy but would also like to fit a pole mounted removable front table though I think Ive also seen a configuration where the pole mount is attached to the base of the seat (i think) allowing the table to swivel. I'd prefer this option as i could then bring the table into the main area giving me more work surface for cooking. Can I buy these kits and fit them myself (Im a intermediate tinker) if so where could I get the kits from OR who would be able to build this for a reasonable price? Thanks in advance.

smokeyjon
80-90 Mem No: 2287

Post by smokeyjon »

rich2goats - the table you're talking about is a westfalia item. They are fairly pricey and hard to get hold of, but do come up (I recently got one on ebay.de). Repro brackets are often sold on ebay over here, and I think it was someone on this forum or brickyard that was making/selling them - try searching. I've never seen a repro table leg though - that would need some skilled tube bending to get the 90 degrees, and probably some welding for the table to leg attachment. I'm no expert, but my research on these seemed to suggest that there are late and early versions (I think this relates to westy age/interior colour but I'm not sure - ie brown = early, grey = late). The table leg attaches differently onto the bottom of the table on each (the late ones are better as the table would be easier to store as it doesn't have a big section of tube stuck out of it. I had an idea about making the later set up from the mechanism on the bottom of a 'lazy susan' (a rotating table serving thingy) that I have from tesco, and as the table I bought is an early one it might still be on the cards, but this project is wayyyyyyyyy down my list!!!
Now rusting away even quicker by the seaside ;-)