Regluing interior carpet onto to fibreglass top

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

browneyes1311
80-90 Mem No: 2714

Regluing interior carpet onto to fibreglass top

Post by browneyes1311 »

Ok my lovely lads and ladies I havea what should be simple question for you,

Because poor Myrtle has been off road for two years whilst welding etc being done the carpet that lines the high top has started peeling off. Its still in fine condition so muggins here thinks she can simply(is there such a word in connection with a T25) reglue the carpet back on.
My question is what glue/adhesive do I use I dont want to start and then find Ive melted the fibreglass. It wil also need to be able to be stuck to carpet too so it is more seamless.
1983 air cooled T25 high top.(hopefully someone will tell me what conversion) name Myrtle de turtle

HT
80-90 Mem No: 4630

Re: Regluing interior carpet onto to fibreglass top

Post by HT »

I carpeted the fibreglass in my van recently and used this spray adhesives, its great: http://www.megavanmats.com/adhesives.htm

browneyes1311

Post by browneyes1311 »

Thank you I was slightly concerned as I know some glues can react with fibreglassa nd do 'orrible ' things to it.

I do have another question .

Is there any reason I cant use the relective lining with polystyrene backing on it that you can put behind your radiators to reflect heat back in between the carpet and the high top? In my innocence Im thinking this wil keep heat in in winter and also keep it cooler in the summer?

I know I dont think normal for a girl but I was just wondering as you do :roll:

Michelle
1983 air cooled T25 high top.(hopefully someone will tell me what conversion) name Myrtle de turtle

HT
80-90 Mem No: 4630

Post by HT »

I can't think why that wouldn't work as it would be a kind of thermal underlay. You would need a lot more glue but that's not too much of an issue. you have to use quite a lot of the spray glue, I'd say about two tins for the whole of the roof (mine is a tin top) so with the insulation stuff maybe 4? You need to spray it on to both surfaces.

Good luck, the more I think about it the more I think it would be a good idea, some insulation is better than none after all.

Harry

browneyes1311

Post by browneyes1311 »

You mean Im not totally mad?!!!

Happy dance someone gets my thinking :D

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

The following is not a "Hi-Jack" as Michelle may have the same issue.

My van has white vinyl, covering everything (except the roof). It is peeling off in many places, worsened by the recent heat. I was going to get some of that spray to stick it back, but it occurred to me that the sticky residue from the old glue might (will ?) prevent the new glue from working properly ? What do you think dear reader, does one need to clean off the old glue first ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Aside = I may have to peel off all the white vinyl and clean up all the panels and replace the covering with a more traditional stretchy material covering :evil:
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

RobH
80-90 Mem No: 8671

Post by RobH »

I didn't remove old glue when I re-stuck mine and it's been on and stuck fine for a couple of years, to be fair a lot of the old glue came off with the old carpet but there were still patches present.

The spray glue will melt/disolve the polystyrene backing of the reflective radiator stuff, I know coz I've done it.
'89 Home brew camper, 1.9 petrol twin-slider tin-top

browneyes1311

Post by browneyes1311 »

Thanks Rob I did wonder if the polystyrene would dissolve.

Back to the thinking board. Hessian with silverr foil backing?

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

I stuck polystyrene sheeting to the interior panels of a Bedford van once (prior to sticking on lining carpet) using some industrial use epoxy resin (2 pack) applied with one of those toothed scraper things. It came in a 2.5Ltr (iirc) tin plus a tube of hardener. It worked just fine. I bet you can get it from one of the larger "trade" material suppliers or ebay. Epoxy floor paint would likely be the same (or better, because you could paint it on with a stiff'ish brush). Best to test a small bit first to make sure the stuff you end up with (if you go this route) does no harm to the foam. Oh, and bear in mind that if ever you need to remove it, epoxy is very strong glue that does not respond to solvents.

Or there is Gorilla glue (like HERE) perhaps ?
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here