High Top in the wind

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Re: High Top in the wind

Post by Cruz »

Do you know what the single biggest and best change I made to my steering when on motorways? it was to change the two tophat bushes on the steering column. They were both worn and meant I had to turn the wheel quite a bit each way before I actually started to affect the steering. It meant the wind had cart blanche to buffet me around without me being able to do anything to stop it.

Thought it was in the WIKI but here it is

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... 8#p7664601" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pionte
80-90 Mem No: 8209

Post by pionte »

good post Cruz.... needs to be in the wiki for sure.
2.5 Quad Cam Scooby engine . Westfalia California 1989

KamperKev
80-90 Mem No: 8678

Post by KamperKev »

sassy wrote:Fitting polybushes where possible or replacing with brand new rubber where not to the entire front end helped a lot.
Steering rack bushes, antiroll bar etc.

The difference that and 70mm springs made was just astounding.

A lot more definite it its driving manner!

polybushes on the steering rack. Best modification i have made to my van. Drives straight, and the wind buffeting and non stop correcting is a thing of the past. :ok
Hightop Leisuredrive
1700 Diesel

pionte

Post by pionte »

KamperKev wrote:
sassy wrote:Fitting polybushes where possible or replacing with brand new rubber where not to the entire front end helped a lot.
Steering rack bushes, antiroll bar etc.

The difference that and 70mm springs made was just astounding.

A lot more definite it its driving manner!

polybushes on the steering rack. Best modification i have made to my van. Drives straight, and the wind buffeting and non stop correcting is a thing of the past. :ok

I think that any worn bushes will cause vagueness , always good practice to start with these first.

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

I don't think poly bushes can stop wind buffeting !!

..as Pionte implies, we're usually changing new poly for old worn rubber.

Let's keep this real & reasonable shall we before they become a magic potion for every ill :smile:
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

discipleofsketch
80-90 Mem No: 11538

Post by discipleofsketch »

So, tell me more about these powerflex steering rack bushes - there's a fair amount of slop in my steering which doesn't help in windy conditions - how long a job is this, and is it the sort of thing that can be attempted by an amateur?
Former owner of 1983 DG panel van and 1983 Devon moonraker pop-top, 1.9 tdi (1z) conversion

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Yes its easy enough, one side is slightly more fiddly. Being steering just take it steady, clean threads before unwinding nuts, don't force things, etc and always keep your eyes open for gotchas.
They hold the steering rack to the frame, isolating it with rubber bushes (cotton reel type) or somewhat less compliant polybush equivs. available from e.g. Brickwerks.

NB. I would get someone experienced to check your whole steering and suspension out for wear and play before hoping for a resolution just by fitting polybushes. There are many sources of slop... from the steering column inside the vehicle onwards to the wheel bearings and even tyre pressures.
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

KamperKev
80-90 Mem No: 8678

Post by KamperKev »

HarryMann wrote:I don't think poly bushes can stop wind buffeting !!

..as Pionte implies, we're usually changing new poly for old worn rubber.

Let's keep this real & reasonable shall we before they become a magic potion for every ill :smile:

I agree may not be right for everyone. I may have got the same result if i had just replaced with new rubber. But still they have made a massive improvement on my Van
Hightop Leisuredrive
1700 Diesel

keith
80-90 Mem No: 5169

Post by keith »

Lets see.... How could you make a van

Less ugly

Less affected by wind

Less able to fit into supermarkets

.....that one has me stumped.

You need the height when camping.....but could really do without it when driving....

Surely the vw engineers must have faced this problem.......

What could the answer be

Im sure something will POP into my mind :D
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes

Dad
80-90 Mem No: 11860

Post by Dad »

Shut it! (Your pop top).
1990 autosleeper trident 1.9 lpg

keith

Post by keith »

Have done....

Drop your ice cream van roof off...
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

keith wrote:Lets see.... How could you make a van

Less ugly

Less affected by wind

Less able to fit into supermarkets

.....that one has me stumped.

You need the height when camping.....but could really do without it when driving....

Surely the vw engineers must have faced this problem.......

What could the answer be

Im sure something will POP into my mind :D

Here we go again! :rofl

On another note on with our slightly lowered suspension our pop top is mostly classed as a car on toll roads, so we save a bit. Occasionally we are classed as the equivalent of a 'high top'. But hey I'm happy!

keith

Post by keith »

Nice call Ralph...

Channel tunnel and french tolls and driving on the right side of the road on holiday...

Few....im exhausted
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes

jason k
80-90 Mem No: 1959

Post by jason k »

pionte wrote:Just an update .

last month I had a few weeks away in the van, Devon, Dorset and Busfest so had a good opportunity to test the new suspension on the motorways.

What a difference 8) the -50 Avo's and Billies have made a huge difference to the stability at motorway speeds , It is rock steady now... obviously the slab sided nature of the van will always have an effect , basic physics ! but I was not auto lane changing anymore, or driving it like a boat ! As Jason K said earlier , cant recommend this highly enough, although he did have B6 on the Westy Cal, mine are the lower spec B4's, and I dont have power steering , but all in all mine handles nearly as well as his did which was the most sorted van I have driven .

For the money this is the best mod you can do to the van, it will improve the ride and look better .

Cheers pionte it was a great bus to drive, I spent a lot of time and effort getting it just so!!

Its the only van I really miss!
98 Westfalia James Cook

pionte

Post by pionte »

jason k wrote:
pionte wrote:Just an update .

last month I had a few weeks away in the van, Devon, Dorset and Busfest so had a good opportunity to test the new suspension on the motorways.

What a difference 8) the -50 Avo's and Billies have made a huge difference to the stability at motorway speeds , It is rock steady now... obviously the slab sided nature of the van will always have an effect , basic physics ! but I was not auto lane changing anymore, or driving it like a boat ! As Jason K said earlier , cant recommend this highly enough, although he did have B6 on the Westy Cal, mine are the lower spec B4's, and I dont have power steering , but all in all mine handles nearly as well as his did which was the most sorted van I have driven .

For the money this is the best mod you can do to the van, it will improve the ride and look better .

Cheers pionte it was a great bus to drive, I spent a lot of time and effort getting it just so!!

Its the only van I really miss!

I so wish that I was in the position financially to have brought it from Kim, its what she wanted and offered it to me for silly cheap money... But I couldnt take advantage of her , we sold it for top money to a guy in Brighton... every day I wince at the thought of all that sea air attacking the bodywork ! :roll:

I looked out for you at Busfest , did you go ?